Digitakt vs OP-1 ? (I have Octatrack MK1 + Digitone)

Haha! Yes, typo. 650😅
And fair point. It IS much more than a modern snake game. Cockoo, red.m.r and Andrew h. Etc Has proven that.

I’ve owned both, and used both extenisively. The DT became my all time favorite machine (both as an all in one machine and as the brain of my hardware), and i’ve sold the op-1.

Both machines are great, but the workflow is completely different. The DT sounds very punchy and clean but in a pleasant way, whereas the op-1 sounds a bit like an older akai sampler, like an mpc 2000. Its not lofi in a way that makes it useless for serieus production, but it adds grit.

The DT is the ultimate machine for making the perfect sounding, constantly changing, complicated loops. You can finetune every little detail, which is perfect for me as a sketchpad. The op-1 is more of a 4 track recorder which also includes some basic samplers, synths and sequencers to record. After recording things are basicly set though, if you for example want to change the envelope on your snare, you’ll have to record it again.

So even though its theoretically possible to create an entire track on the op-1, even on the bus, or while sitting on the couch, to me it allways felt like more of a chore to turn on the op-1 than the DT, even for just jamming on the couch. It doesnt help that the op-1 is so expensive that it just felt like i had to be very carefull all the time.

One last thing: why do you think you need another instrument? To me the ot/dn combo sounds awesome, and it might just be your GAS talking you into getting another machine whichh might just overcomplicate your workflow…

2 Likes

Definitely cop an OP1 at 650

2 Likes

While you are right that this sounds like a strong PRO for the OP-1, let me tell you my experience about that: I owned a OP-1 and I loved it at first. The tape, the synth engines, the sampler, the sequencers and especially the combination of all that makes it a great creative sketchpad. BUT I soon found out that it made me noodle around endlessly with audio SKETCHES, but these sketches never made it into whole songs together with my OT/AR/A4/Reason DAW. Syncing to the rest of the setup requires some effort and there is some noise floor on the output indeed. Plus jamming on the bus sounds great, but every time i tried it, i didn’t feel comfortable with it because everybody else on the bus stares at you like you are some kind of an alien.

At the end, i sold it because i didn’t use it too much in the studio (with all my Elektron machines plus a DAW there were simply other ways to get creative that fitted the whole system better) and because i didn’t use it on the road too much either.

It’s a great and crazy creative tool, but don’t get fooled that it will get you to make amazing songs all the time everywhere

4 Likes

I love my OP-1, but lately that’s DT I bring in the park, with an XTPower portable battery.

OP-1 still pushes me to finish tracks, while I noodle endlessly on DT :smiley:
To each their workflow I guess!
DT sounds really really great, while OP-1 is on the lofi side. DT makes it possible to tweak endlessly, while OP-1 is less forgiving…
DT integrates perfectly with other gear (transport always enabled being the only thing I curse) while OP-1 is more of a lonely wolf.

In the end, I can’t get rid of the OP-1, but DT is definitely above it in my heart.

2 Likes

The op-1 got an update just a few months ago, which enables toggling through different resolutions for tape edits and loops.

2 Likes

:smiley: :smiley:
True dat!!!

1 Like

Oh yes indeed, and before that they introduced the arp… ok, I’ll remove this line !

1 Like

I have a Octatrack and a OP-Z, I think it’s a wonderful combination. Yes, the synth engine op the OP-Z is not the best there is, but very usable. You must learn to master the reverb, delay and LFO, with that you can make the most crazy sounds., and feed the OT with that. The OP-Z sequencer is top notch, one of the best I ever used. I sequence my iPad with it.

And, sampling is coming with the new firmware! I think this little box is(can be) magic.

2 Likes

Ok, based on all your much appreciated and good feedback, I have made a decision !
My next band member will be the Digitakt.

I really like the OP-1, and I have gained much respect for it after reading you’re thoughts.
I might spring for one later if I stumble upon some cash. But for what I want to produce, and the equipment I have now, the DT seems like a better choice.

The OP-1 has too many parts and choices for what i´m missing, and I think the DT is so focused on the one aspect I want to explore more with my current setup, which is drums and drum/beat sampling. Also my brain is working at max capacity with the Elektron workflow, so I think my head might explode if I added something new at this point. So it´s a health and safety thing as well.

Thanks for all the pro´s and con´s!

3 Likes

Tough to get away from the elektron workflow once you fall into it, I sold my other sequencers/samplers to focus on elektron (limited time for me another reason).

Strangely after ignoring the OP-1 forever I started looking into them again this week so this thread was timed perfectly.

1 Like

Since the Digitakt & Op-1 are completely different it really depends on what you want to add to your set up.

Even though there’s a lot of feature overlap with the Octatrack & Digitakt I can see why you would want both, there are a lot of benefits to this.

With respects to the Op-1 it seems like people either hate it or absolutely love it. I am in the LOVE IT category. I bought it used for $900, but if I didn’t have an Op-1 & know what I know now, no joke I would pay $2,000 for it. I’ve had it about a year & I can’t put it down. I watched it for a few years, but didn’t think it was for me. I didn’t like the synth sounds I heard in demos & I thought it was overpriced for what it was. Then I bought a K.O., which I loved & it made me look closer at the Op-1.

IMO I really don’t understand how people consider it a toy (maybe the color knobs or graphics make them feel that way or maybe because it is SO MUCH FUN). I think it’s a really solid piece of gear. I also don’t understand how people think it’s limited for the price. The amount of features packed into it is crazy especially for it’s size. Yea, it’s missing some features that a lot of people want, but it still has a ton of features with numerous ways to create & do things.

I use it as a sound design tool, rhythm & idea maker & of course for it’s portability. Sometimes I make full songs on it… it can take time & seem complicated, but I love a challenge. I think of it as an instrument due to the fact that you have to actually put work into it… but that just means I’m the one making the music, the gear isn’t making it for me so personally I don’t consider it work, I consider it making music. There are also A LOT of tricks. People complain about the noise floor, pops/clicks on the tape, no undo button, ect, ect, ect but there are a lot of tricks & things you can do. With respects to the noise floor, lowering the sounds volume, adjusting the compressor, adjusting the eq, removing certain frequencies, this all makes a big difference. There’s a trick to remove pops/clicks from the tape. Even tho there’s no undo, you just need to copy the track before adding to it. Also people consider the Op-1 lofi, but IMO it’s the effects that give it a lofi sound (they can be noisy).

I normally use it on it’s own, but I also love to use it with a brain (1 of my MPC’s or Maschine Mk3). I love working with samples, so I don’t midi it, I sample it. I create all ideas & sounds on the Op-1, sample sounds, melodies, rhythms into the MPC or Mk3, chop & further manipulate. I love using it this way, I’m very creative on the Op-1, so creating the ideas on the Op-1 then transferring them to another sampler/sequencer to build the song really works for me.

Even tho I didn’t care for the synths I heard in demos, I actually really like them when it’s in my hands. Plus there are a ton of synths/sounds to choose from, you can even move a sound from 1 synth to another giving you different ways to shape the sound. The sound design possibilities are endless & there are numerous ways to do things.

If you love a challenge, if you love to experiment & if you want something that’s portable, but still feature rich you might really love the Op-1. & even tho it’s portable my Op-1 loves to play with the big boys in the studio. For the price you listed I think it would be crazy to not buy. If you don’t like it you can sell it & probably even make a little profit.

6 Likes

So if being true to yourself, don’t get a DT, use your OT as it can do all you need already.
Avoid GAS compulsion :+1:

9 Likes

I sketch out entire songs on Gadget. I use my TE products for making interesting loops that are maybe 2-4 bars and I then put into my OT. And my phone will always hold up in my bag and I’ll always have it with me. I can’t say that about the OPZ or any of the PO (even though I love all my TE gear).

2 Likes
1 Like

OP-1 is more fun to jam and sketch things out versus Digitakt is serious stand alone synth and sequencer. I have an Octatrack and A4 so getting the OP-1 was more important to me for on the go jam tools. Both are great.

I don’t have an op-1 or an octatrack, but I do have a digitakt and it is so much fun, definitely my fav beat machine to just sample sounds I like to go together on the fly without even thinking about trimming or editing etc… and then just start placing triggers all over the place, letting a collage build up organically into something I had no idea was there

1 Like

I would recommend against the op-1, interesting UI but ultimately too gimmicky, and I didn’t like the synth sounds.
I don’t regret selling it but at the same time I wish I had it again because it’s a thing of beauty, one of those objects you’re compelled to pick up

1 Like

One here for the Digitakt camp. Having the Digitakt handle drum duties, coming in on an Octatrack Thru track is pure luxury.