Digitakt vs. Octatrack

OT 2 octaves
DT 4 octaves?

DT can send Prog Changes at any step. Its midi sequencer accepts overlapping notes, where the OT cuts notes with a new one.
DT has Lfo on sample, and plockable lfo dest, but 1 lfo.

3 Likes

I used to have the 2 but at the end the 2 major things that pushed me to return back the DT is the 1 GB +Drive storage and you cant zoom when you edit samples. Maybe one day i’ll rebuy again the DT… But for jamming with one shot samples, if you have OT and DT you can do a lot…

1 Like

Any serious test? I heard DT is slightly brighter, it can be an additional EQ.

1 Like

Well at least the reverb (same as AR, A4 and DN) sounds better than OT’s.

1 Like

OT Pros:
crossfader, scenes, far superior modular FX system, live looping, track scale per track (superior sequencer overall imo), 4 input mixer

DT Pros:
Better fidelity/resolution sampling engine, tempo per pattern, i feel less bad about smacking the keys and spinning the encoders like a caffeine injected dataline, oled screen (at least vs mk1), OB is the business (shout outs beta testers)

owning DT & OT together frees up the OT to do more live sample mangling or processing of external signals with neighbor tracks etc. leaving the DT for bread and butter sample playback.

i own both, i could live with out the DT but not with out the OT. :smiley:

2 Likes

there’s a thread where someone noticed a high freq bump in DT’s sample playback engine. This was a while ago so not sure if it’s changed.

4 Likes

Also owning a DT will cause you to use the OT in a much more disciplined fashion for all its extra functions, freeing up tracks to the DT.

You might just find you discover all your best creations on the DT though - it’s just more immediate and gratifying, which you can then resample back to the OT for more exploration.

Irresolvable formulae to help you:
DT + OT > 2OT
OT > DT

3 Likes

Concerning realtime audio processing of external incoming signals, with FX :
OT > 1 000 000 DT

Fx on intput only in rec mode for DT, that’s it?

Concerning realtime stereo sampling / resampling with simultaneous mangling of 16 different audio sources, sequenced / quantized recordings :
OT > 1 000 000 000 000 000 000 DT

Not possible with DT.

Concerning macro control :
OT crossfader 30x8=240 simultaneous parameters with morphing between 2 scenes (16 scenes) > DT CTRL ALL 8x1=8 parameters.

OT can do CTRL ALL easily with midi loopback, in addition of crossfader control.

2 Likes

OT = $1350
DT = $740

:slight_smile:

Just get both. Muck about, sell the one you dont like.
…,youll probably keep both :wink:

2 Likes

It’s funny how the bottom line to every elektron gear thread here ends like “just catch’em all already !” :rofl:

2 Likes

its true tho…aint it. some guy buys a box…then is all stoked, buys another. next thing you know you’ve fucked yourself, and blown your cash all on one kinda gear.

kinda like modulars little brother.

1 Like

Seriously, you can make good music on both devices if you develop the chops. But what if you had a DN as well? And the AH?
A house full of Elektron gear is a happy place.

2 Likes

Do you like the walls of my toilets?

If you’re happy with this…

5 Likes

I think you might want to see a doctor.

I think the volca sample is actually really great for classic sounds with a cool 12 bit vibe, it’s really fast to program and mess with… kinda wish I kept mine as a side piece. Definitely has lots of problems but you can get one for 100$ used :grinning:

1 Like

Sure. I tried an Elektron therapy, but I’m still unhappy. :slightly_frowning_face:
Do I need more Elektrons? :sketchy:

1 Like

Of course. Elektron modules are like violence. If it doesn’t work, you need more of them.

2 Likes

Impossible to argue against this logic :slight_smile:

1 Like

you’re not wrong on it being awesome. but it’s not 12 bit. it’s 16 bit, 31.25kHz sample rate. maybe the weird sample rate does something special, I don’t know, but you’re right it does indeed sound great.

but 12 bit? I WISH!

Ah yeah I knew it was something like that