Digitakt vs Beatstep Pro

Hi,

I am looking for a hardware sequencer within 700$.

My main need is for sequencing midi to Ableton.

Breaks. Samples. More IDM/ Breakcore style

Which of the two has more intricate or advanced midi sequencing option? For example i love the RANDOM feature on the BSP…

Advantage of Digitakt is I don’t have to stare at a screen…but does it compete with the Arturia …for pure sequencing chops/ variations ?

Thanks !

1 Like

Features of the DT:
Pros:
-It’s also a standalone sampler for when you want it easily at hand
-You can step adjust the parameters of what your altering(if you’re into that)
-Midi Conditions
Cons:
-Only 8 tracks
-No velocity sensitivity on the input method
-Probably more expensive than the beat step

I have no info on the beat step.

As a BSP owner, only advantage BSP really has is CV. Given the DT conditional sequencing, it’s way ahead of the BSP in that regard.

2 Likes

The BeatStep pro is “just” a MIDI sequencer. The Digitakt is that plus a drum machine, sampler, and a waay more advanced sequencer.

Even if you take only the MIDI part with the Digitakt you have parameter locks on MIDI tracks, you get saved MIDI CC parameters per pattern, you get actual chords up to 4 note, you get an LFO, actual working copy-paste, instant reload, conditional triggers etc.

Its not really even the same category of device

1 Like

yeah, DT has what you’d want for IDM (conditrigs, automation, retrigs, polymetry). IMO the beatstep is for “simpler” music and great for improvising some krautrock/synth stuff, or straight up techno/house/elektro… which the DT can pull off as well though. DT offers way deeper programming and loads more memory locations for storage.

1 Like

Does Digitakt compete with Arturia? :joy: no, we’re talking “now” versus Stone Age for BSP…
Forget BSP, it’s useless, only 3 tracks and everything has to be done in computer…
Digitakt or Squarp Pyramid

Then the Digitakt!

Its a simple choice!

Thanks guys for the advice!

4 Likes