Digitakt / use sync b in the same way as sync a

Hey there,

I want to use the sync b of the digitakt in the same way as sync a (as clock for other gear). It does not work, only sync a is working properly.

I already switched “Thru port func” to “midi”.

sync A and sync b refer only to the ports’ alternative role as DIN-Sync ports

otherwise when the ports are set to be MIDI they follow strict adherence to normal standards

So a MIDI Out and a MIDI thru are fundamentally different and the device behaves exactly as it’s intended to

Thru only echoes MIDI data appearing at the physical MIDI in Port - it’s not (and won’t ever be) a second/mirror out port

1 Like

Thanks! But the manual says:

MIDI THRU/SYNC B, Forwards data from MIDI IN. Can also be configured to send DIN sync to legacy instruments. Use a standard MIDI cable to connect another MIDI device in the chain.

What does that mean then?

also means DIN-Sync (a pre-MIDI standard) is an alternative way to use the port (NOT using a MIDI cable, but instead a similar plug with different wiring)

The second line wrt standard MIDI cable is a bit ambiguous if you don’t follow that DIN-Sync is implicitly non-MIDI

as far as you are concerned, for MIDI only, you only have a MIDI Thru port (marked syncB), so it’s only a copy of any data arriving at the Port marked MIDI IN (not the USB midi in)

midi and din sync are different protocols. it means you can select either midi or din sync for the thru port.

for example: an mc202 doesnt have midi, it uses din sync. so this would allow you to sync the mc202’s sequencer to the DT whereas otherwise you couldnt sync it up without some kinda 3rd party device.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks.

Is there any kind of midi „duplicator-hub“ on the market? So i use the signal of port a 4 times for 4 different devices to sync them

Out of stock for now but I’m sure you can find other brands

2 Likes

I would suggest to get a Kenton MIDI Thru 5 instead, because it has a power supply.

The MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru uses power-over-MIDI (MIDI-In as power supply), which does work with many, but not all devices.

Reason: Power-over-MIDI is kind of a hack and no defined standard. Some devices simply doesn’t provide enough current through their MIDI out ports to run the Quadra box.

3 Likes

Fwiw, the dt will power the quadra midi through box. I use one in my setup, and it works flawlessly.

5 Likes

Use a miditech midi thru now, works great with power over midi at the digitakt, no jitter

1 Like