Digitakt to Model12 mixer

Hi there
I’m new in the forum and on these kind of gear as well, I come from the guitars and amps world.
I am about to trigger for a Digitakt, and based on what I’ve red, I don’t have a clear view of the connections. I could wait and figure it out upon arrival via trial and error, but I think this silly question may be a good opportunity to introduce myself to the forum. LOL
Being non stereo, I don’t know how to plug it into the Mixer. Should I use 2 unbalanced chords (L,R) from the main outputs?, one from the L?..
Thanks

1 Like

hi, digitakt loads mono samples, but is stereo (effects, panning), so you’d use two balanced cords and hard pan the two channels on the mixer :wink:

1 Like

Copy that Jeanne, thanks… that’s good news!
I want to learn how to use the brick as a drum machine initially to build my ideas over, and learning how to sample and sequence them, but later on I am sure I will go on and add some kind of a Synth to the chain.
I have no idea of Midi, so I’m just guessing I’ll need two Midi cords to connect with the AI, right?
I will need also another USB cord going direct to the Pc for Firmware updates, but after that I won’t need that chord for an standard set up.

Please let me know if I’m right or not.

AI? :wink:

1 Like

Sorry, I mean Audio Interface.

In this case it is the same equipment as mixer and multitrack recorder (Tascam Model12).

All I said may be a bit confusing, as I’m still trying to figure out how to connect all the gear.
I know I can connect a Synth to the Digitakt via Midi, but I was wondering if I can get any advantage using the Model12 as the centre of it all.

I’ve just realized there is only one Midi in the Model12
:dizzy_face:

You don’t need MIDI just to play with or record the Digitakt, but theoretically you can send Midi to it and/or sync it, for example.

Digitakt can send all audio via USB for example, and there’s this thing called Overbridge …

But so far you didn’t mention anything that would justify to connect it with more than the two audio cords :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hey @Juanjuan, welcome to Elektronauts. Fellow Digitakt and Model12 user here :wave:

Can you describe what kind of setup you’re trying to achieve? That’s always helpful, since there are a lot of possibilities with these kinds of things and we want to narrow it down to what you want to do.

For instance, if you’re trying to sync your Digitakt to a DAW on your computer, the Model12 MIDI output would be useful for connecting MIDI from your computer to the Digitakt. But if you’re just sending audio into the Model12 and into your computer, with no need for sync, then there’s no need to make a MIDI connection.

In my case, I don’t sync my Elektron stuff with my DAW, so I never use the MIDI connections on the Model12. I usually just connect the Digitakt L/R outputs to channels 7/8 on the Model12, so you have a stereo channel strip to play with. Then you can shape the sound with Model12’s EQ, effects, and compressor. There’s lots more you can do, but that would be the most straightforward setup. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Thanks both, I see I was very confusing mixing things.

Now I see… I will need a Midi connection, the day I buy a Synth for syncing with the Digitakt, but not now as I don’t want to connect anything to a computer… yet.

That’s it, thanks!
…and hard pan the two chanels as Jeanne said.

Cool guys!
:vulcan_salute:t3:

2 Likes

This is true, but it only applies if you’re using two mono channels to receive a stereo signal, rather than a single stereo channel. On the Model12, tracks 1-6 are mono, while 7/8 and 9/10 are stereo pairs.

So, for example, if you plug the Digitakt Left and Right outputs into channels 1 and 2 (two mono channels), you’d want to hard pan 1 to the left and 2 to the right to get your stereo image. However, if you plug the Digitakt L/R outputs into the stereo channel 7/8, you’ll get the whole stereo signal in one channel strip (which means you can control it with just the one fader, one set of EQ knobs, etc.).

It’s good to be able to know how to do both — sometimes you may want to use two mono channels, sometimes you may want to use the stereo channels 7/8 and 9/10, just depends on your situation.

2 Likes

All right… and another question :grimacing:

Balanced? or unbalanced.

Either will work! Your Digitakt has balanced outputs and the Model12 has balanced inputs, so you can use balanced cables to connect them, but you could also use unbalanced cables and get the same result.

The difference between balanced vs. unbalanced cables is only really apparent when you’re using long cables (i.e. longer than 10 feet) to connect things — in that case, you want to use balanced connections to avoid noise in your signal.

2 Likes