Digitakt Sound Pool / +Drive / Per Track samples confusion

Hi there

I’m in need of someone to explain the Digitakt sound architecture in a simple, non-complicated way (unlike the manual).

For example, in IMP/EXP > MANAGE SOUNDS menu, what are these sounds in the various Banks A, B, C, etc.? Is it the sounds stored in the global +DRIVE, and where sound packs etc. show up?

Secondly, I understand I can COPY TO the Sound Pool from this menu, which is a pool of sounds on a per project basis. Fine with that.

But then, where do the per track samples come from if they are not the same as the sounds stored in the Banks A, B, C, etc.? (i.e. the sounds that show in the folders when pressing FUNC+SRC then FUNC+YES on a sample – different folder type menu)

Assigning a sample to a track from that menu does not bring it to the Sound Pool of the project.
So, how can I add sounds to the project Sound Pool from this menu?

(and back to my first question - why is this folder sample menu not part of the +DRIVE bank stored sounds?)

It’s so confusing man.

2 Likes

Look at threads around here, it’s a very common topic. For example: Digitakt Sample Management

1 Like

Thanks I’ll read that link now.

I made a post for this as well a while back. Might be of use.

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/sounds-and-samples-a-visual/

Thanks. Still, how do you get the sample loaded from the RAM list into the Sound Pool of the project?

The sound pool holds sounds that are outside the existing sounds loaded on 1-8.

Samples are just loaded to RAM.

Remember, a sample is the raw audio. A Sound is all of the associated parameters used to shape the audio (envelopes, filters, lfos).

1 Like

Ok, but if I then create a bunch of settings for that sample on a particular track, THEN how do I get this sound saved?

Sorry that I’m still confused just on this point.

No worries, you’re bound to have questions when you’re getting started with Elektron products!

The process of saving a sound to the pool or +Drive is called Exporting. I’m at work so I don’t have the DT right now but I think it’s under the Gear menu… Checking the online manual right now…

10.5.5 IMPORT/EXPORT - Page 31 talks about this. I won’t bother copying and pasting the manual in here but have a read on this and let me know if you still have questions.

1 Like

Exporting… Ahh… Yes. :slight_smile:

Hello,
How can you know what sound you have assigned to a track. It’s easy to see what sample is assigned but how can you find which sound? Easy for a trig if you use it from the pool, as you can hold the trigger and see. What is also difficult is if you assign a sound from soundpool to a track, how do you know which one was assigned? Another issue, is which some sounds, when assigned to a track, src shows you original sample name which created the sound and not sound name. So how can you find out which sound is assigned to a track?
Thx

Hi @yvesbajulaz, I’ve been using @mzero’s DT app – https://electric.kitchen/crunch/elk-herd/

With this you can fetch the current project and view what samples and sounds are used in it. It’s a great way to get an overview of what’s going on inside your DT.

Great way to organise your samples on the +Drive too. I get a bit lost in the DT screens, this is app helps a lot.

Does the elk herd app allow for drag-dropping samples from your PC to the Digitakt?

Yes, it does.

2 Likes

Hello,
thx a lot.
I was just hoping for being able to do it without computer held. I use the digitakt stand alone a lot.
It works on the digitone, as its always sounds and no samples.
Thx
Y

Hi guys,
I’ve read this post, checked the manual and browsed the internet, but can’t seem to find the answer.

I transferred a directory with 10 sounds to my digitakt. When i go to settings > samples i can see this directory and the sounds. Loading the sounds to the current project is also no problem. Everything works fine. I can hear them, i can play/rec them.
But now i would like to also store these sounds in one of the Banks A-H. How do i get them there?
I prefer browsing for new sounds i would like to use by FUNC+Sound Browser. It would be nice if they would be available there.

1 Like

It seems from what you are saying that the “sounds” you are loading to a project are samples, to put them in sound banks they need to be saved as sounds, sounds are samples+ any parameters you might add.
You can save them individually to the sound banks using the imp/exp button to export the currently selected track to whatever sound bank you want.

1 Like

Did you ever find a way to view your sound without a computer? I’m stuck on this same thing…track has a sound, but can only view the sample etc…it’s been a few years so maybe you gave up lol.

What happens if you try to resave the track sound?, I am not sure but maybe the original sound label will appear in the naming screen. Not fast or fluid but might be useful.

1 Like