Digitakt "Sound Browser" Confusion

Hi all
Ive recently bought one if these great devices and can get my head around most of it … and its pretty amazing.
What i can’t understand is the point of the Sound Browser. Most of the time I select and change sounds from the SRC menu … or am i missing something?
Cheers
Rob

1 Like

Ive been use the DT for about 6 months now and never used that feature.

2 Likes

it lets you save all aspects of a sound, so if the filter, envelopes, lfo, or loop points (and so on) are a big part of the sound you want it is pretty key to getting the same sound again really quickly. It is also what lets you use the sound pool which is a good way to lock your full sounds you created. To me it was an eye opener because I realized I wasn’t really taking full advantage of stuff like the filter and envelopes before I realized how incredibly useful it was. Now on every sound I try to make adjustments to filter and such to make each sound more preformable and interesting. Does everything I make need to be turned into a soundbrowser sound? nope but for some stuff I want to use over and over it is super useful.

5 Likes

What you are scrolling through in the src menu is the sample in the project ram.
A sound includes a sample Saved with a set of parameters. One of the cool things about using sounds is that they can be locked to steps and you can pretty much lock a different sounds to each step of the sequence. Sounds are like p-lockable presets.

4 Likes

Thanks guys
I see the clue is in the name:

• sample = raw form
  • sound = sample + mods
    :grin:
3 Likes

Exactly. If you p-lock a sample from the sample pool, it will retain any modifications you made to the original sample in the audio track, which might cause happy accidents, but it might not be what you are looking for.

P-locking sounds on the other hand will effectively let you use 2 desired sounds in one audio track :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m actually starting to understand it more because of the way you explained. it is probably one of the clearest and most useful i’ve come across. thanks.

I usually only save a SOUND if it is a sample that required some retuning, but there’s a lot of other value to it than that.

Great explanation. So how do i save to the sound browser or pool that modified sound in my project?

Make sure the track with the sound you want to save is selected, hold function and press inp/exp, a window will open and you can save that sound to the sound browser, you can also move that sound to the project sound pool for p- locking on individual steps.

6 Likes

Got it !

thanks! really helpfull! Digitakt is a beast!

I’m new to Digitakt, but have been using Digitone for a while, so I’m just trying to get used to a few of the differences and am looking for some help.
When browsing sounds in the +Drive to load them to the sound pool, is it possible to preview them, or do you need to load them into the project pool first?
I can see why this might be the case and you would need to load to RAM first, but I’m used to loading sounds in the DN, where you can just play the trig keys in chromatic mode before selecting, so I wondered if there was a similar option in the DT?
This could be something super simple that I’m missing, but I’ve checked the manual a bunch of times and quite a few YT vids and can’t seem to find the answer.

I was wondering the same these days. Let me know if you found an answer. Thanks

This is all I needed. Thanks!

Creating a purpose-specific sound pool also speeds up the creative process really. I create projects based on genre or feel I want to achieve, so a predefined set of drum sounds is good for starting something new or get your ideas/chord progressions into the machine before you forget them. It is a good alternative to savings kits in my opinion, you can quickly mix and match between kits too.

If I delete sample from +Drive, will it affect Sound saved in Sound Library that was based on deleted sample? I think Sound Library contains only info about sample location and parameters that you tweaked but the sample is still in its original place. And if sampled is deleted - the Sound is wiped too. Am I right?

IIRC. The Sound as an “entry” will still be there but won’t give out any sound since a sample is missing.

2 Likes

Yep, I went through the FM and didn’t find the clear answer. Thanks!