Digitakt over MPC advice

Definitely eventually want the octatrack, just from searching online it seems it is recommended to start with the digitakt, and yea i agree about the full song capabilities of the MPC, but i feel i would get more done and have more fun with an ipad and DT. Im just trying to learn as much about both units and workflows before pulling the trigger on one. Also because a daw + controller ( im using fl ) can pretty much do what an mpc can and i wouldnt mind being in front of a computer if i had a digitakt for other portible uses

Also would you 1000% reccomend say the mpc one over the 2500? I just love the 2500 but recognize the limitations

…song mode is what it says…an editor to organise patterns/sequences (both the same, but on dt it’s a pattern, on the mpc it’s a seqeunce) to an overall running order that ends up in a songstructure…dt has no such thing, but it’s chain mode can get u there pretty close…

dt get’s unique and huuuuge, if u dive deep into it and use it’s limits for ur own very individual advantage…

the mpc is way more a stand alone studio on it’s own, where the sequences really work like a tape recorder…the more easy version of an ableton in a box…
while the ot is the more a sound design lab kind of ableton in a box…

and the dt is the hard banging rock solid one shot sampler instrument…with still quite some nerd factor to it…not that much as the ot…but elektron is elektron…

1 Like

You could also start off with model samples and see if you like it. That way you haven’t spent a ton of cash.

1 Like

Yea i thought about this but honestly would probably just dive into the DT haha

If you really want to see someone pulling out all stops with the Digitakt at the center of a live setup and write and perform entire tracks…even whole sets on it.

Check out Ehsan Gelsi’s videos. They are insane!

2 Likes

I chosed the DT year ago and don’t regret it. The DT is like a real instrument. It’s low in features but so deep when you learn to use it. Not 2 people can ring the DT the same way.
I love the fact the DT is simple so you can thinks about your own tricks to achieve your goal. There is no automations or scale mode, chords mode, time stretch, etc… but you can do or simulate all of this when you master the machine.
I use my DT as standalone with support of a computer to resample things with some VST on it. Quick and easy process.
I don’t know MPC Live/One but never liked the do-it-all gear with tactile screen.

1 Like

Yea you sum it up pretty well. I think i can continue using my daw over the mpc to make my full tracks and in the meantime get and try to master the DT best i can and hopefully move onto the octotrack, or get an mpc in the future. I think the “fun” of the DT is what really attracts me, especially when paired with a DN, thanks for your time!

Definitely! I myself bought the Analog Four Mk2, instead of the Digitone and have it now paired with my Digitakt. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That machine looks like a beast! Glad to hear, safe to say that the DT and DN complement each other pretty well ? That or the octo would be a sweet setup

Yes love it. Its a complex beast though! Totally different (aka more difficult to get into) experience over the Digitakt hehe.
I actually have to use the manual now with the Analog Four lol. :stuck_out_tongue:

Digitakt+Digitone is an extremely popular combo among Elektron users. Many route the L+R Audio out of the Digitakt into the L+R Audio IN on the Digitone.

Might still decide getting the Digitone myself as well… eventually.

1 Like

Hahaha starts to add up eh? But you’d definitely reccomend the DT as a first beginner machine though right? Over the OT even if i wouldnt use all the (deeeep) features at first?

@VenomousVillain In all honesty. Yes! Believe me. I have looked long and hard at the Octatrack. It’s a beast of a machine, but expensive as well! It’s more than double the price of the Digitakt.
For me that kind of money was better spend on the Analog Four Mk2, which I end up doing.

For an Elektron machine, the Digitakt is extremely easy to use. Like I said earlier. I have yet to open the manual.
There are also so many great instructional and inspirational videos out there on Youtube, like the one I posted. ChuckooMusic also has a very good Tutorial Video about the Digitakt!

And to round it off. There is a reason why the Digitakt is Elektron’s best selling device! :slight_smile:

PS. Stereo sampling is heavily overrated! It’s much easier to work with Mono samples. Sit much better in the mix. The stereo image you add with (subtle) FX.
A lot of producers that work entirely in the box inside a DAW still often start out with Mono samples and Mono tracks!

Hi venomous, i’m a longtime mpc user (used an mpc1000 as my centerpiece since 2006) who switched to the dt 2 years ago, mainly doing samplebased hiphop, so i’ll give you my take on this:

The mpc is a very playable device, you can chop samples and play them with the pads, which is a very intuitive way of working. It also has a song mode, which the dt doesnt have, so you can easily make intro’s and b parts to a song. Its a great sequencer, and sampler. The mpc can do most of the things you need, even today, but it doesn’t really excel at anything, nor does it have features that make you go ‘wow this is awesome/unexpected’. To me the mpc 1000 still feels like a reliable old allround workhorse that kept its power after allmost 15 years of service, and still makes for a great companion.

The DT lacks some very basic things (like stereo sampling, a songmode, or chopping samples), but it is a device that has a lot of functions and quirks that make it both very easy and enjoyable to use, and very inspiring/deep at the same time. Instead of being very capable at making what i want it to make, like the mpc is, it challenges me and inspires me to make music that is different from what i planned, and sounds unexpected and original. It is far superior to the mpc in aspects like its synth capabilities, sequencer options and sound shaping abilities. Also its basic sound is way better then the mpc, as well as its effects.

In conclusion: if you want a reliable all rounder which is very playable- go with the mpc. If you want a device which is more like a very inspiring mad labratory which might lack some functions a daw can compensate for, but gives you options you never even thought of: go with the dt. I use it to make sample based hiphop and its great.

1 Like

Wow this is great, exactly what i was looking for. I know how great the 1000/2500 are but just can’t justify spending $900 on it when i can do most of it in a daw + controller. Hence why i wanted the DT for more experimental/hands on fun. As you said the sound shaping abilities are very intriguing. Im glad to hear you making hip hop on the DT, in terms of the limitations of the DT i could always use pre chopped and stretched samples from a daw then import them to the DT. Is the mono sampling a huge deal? I feel if i got the mpc it would just replace the daw whereas the DT is something entirely new and hands on! Thanks for your time !! I think im definitely leaning towards the DT but still doing more research , this forum is a huge help

Awesome thanks for being straight up, and yes I’ve checked out chuckoo’s videos and they really break everything down well. With so many options its tough to sort out as a hardware beginner!

Also good to hear about the mono sampling, that was something I wasn’t to sure about

What kind of hip hop are you thinking of making? Digitakt would excel at lo-fi, old school and experimental styles. It can do it all but it will get to some areas the MPC will not be able to reach. Song Mmode does not exist. You’ll need to perform your song as you record. Then you can always chop and edit in the DAW. Performing sound is switching between patterns manually and muting/unmuting manually.

2 Likes

Mostly old school hip hop/ lo fi as well as electronic experimentation ( if i pair it with a synth) how is the workflow using the DT and daw ? Do you simply record on the DT, export to daw and can further arrange and mix in the daw? Thanks

@VenomousVillain I am not the only saying this, but some people make such a big deal out of this.

Stereo sampling is just highly overrated. Especially if you just making beats, making bass, lead, chord synth sounds with Single Cycle waveforms/samples, Etc.
I don’t notice it at all. Don’t miss it. You apply FX, like Reverb, Delay, LFO to create a stereo image you want.
The output of the Digitakt is Stereo. The FX are stereo.

1 Like

Ivar Triti is also sick (Not Corona sick, sick like - insanely awesome) - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_jlrzu9GMK_15BcTD1tJpg

2 Likes

Glad to help! You should also check out the ‘hiphop made on the digitakt’ thread, its full of awesome, and very different kinds of hiphop tracks by people from this forum. O and stereo sampling is overrated! :wink:

1 Like