Digitakt OS 1.05

Improved FX are a good thing. A few people made such a huge deal when the FX on the RYTM were improved because it “changed” something they had already created using the old “quiet” FX that Elektron implemented a “Legacy” FX mode.

Does anyone prefer using the “Legacy” FX mode on the RYTM? It is quieter, and just sounds worse to me. I always disliked how this feature was implemented to satisfy these people who complained about having to adjust a couple parameters on some tracks they already created, as if the trade-off for a much improved core feature wasn’t worth it.

How about just sending me the midi files for your tracks that were affected, and I’ll adjust those parameters for you using the improved algorithms? I promise I’ll make them sound better than they originally did.

All of this would of course have been less of an issue if OB was working…

2 Likes

I get that the overdrive change is inconvenient for some people, but I’d much rather see Elektron continue to improve the sound of the effects than give into a fear of making changes.

I record performances into a DAW if I want something permanent and treat synths and samplers as instruments whose sound may change over time.

You are exaggerating things a bit.

I don’t mind changing some levels to get things in line again. It’s not hard, it’s not too much work.

The thing is that one cannot exactly know before hand how much it will differ. And trust me when I say I used the bitcrusher in ways especially taking advantage of its quirkiness. So it’s probably impossible to change the parameter in such a way that it will all sound well again. At least, that is what I’m trying to find out.

And as 't says, it would’ve been better if they’d change this kind of stuff after OB works, as one can then at least record all tracks and backup all projects properly before updating.

I’m all for roling with anything that gets released, so it’s not a critique, it’s genuine interest in how much impact the update has before I upgrade, as I will plan some time to set everything tight after upgrading.

3 Likes

3 Likes

True; I’m exaggerating. I just really hope the trouble to implement some sort of “Legacy” mode for the DT doesn’t occur.

2 Likes

Very unlikely, like in hell freezing over unlikely.

1 Like

I haven’t updated yet but plan to do so when I am back in the office tomorrow.

Feel free to send me a few samples with some notes on which parameter levels to set things to and I am happy to record before and after examples.

I was planning to do so anyway.

4 Likes

That’s really friendly of you :slight_smile:
I will send you some samples tomorrow evening. Thanks !
Cheers

Cool, let’s do that. I was planning to do some before and afters to post here on the forum to give folks an idea of what to expect anyway, and it’s no trouble doing that with a few of your samples.

2 Likes

Why not? It’s just one more flag in the code and one more checkbox in the config. Changing the actual behaviour of the sound generating/processing algorithms, that’s the harder part.

I never understood why you objected the ”legacy fx” implementation in the rytm back then, and I still dont. It doesn’t affect the existing work of anyone, yet new work automatically benefits from it? Why have it any other way?

1 Like

Agreed. « Legacy » flag is not something hard to implement, and make it possible to have different flavors of FX. All the more when the new flavor adds some unwanted artefacts.
I regret it wasn’t implemented in this OS, but I am intrigued that this could have bothered you in any way, @Prints my dear.

I just feel that if they tweaked the FX because they weren’t quite working as they wanted, they were just fixing something to make the device align with their intended vision. I want the device to become exactly what they want it to be because I kind of view them as artists, and I want this piece of art to embody what they see with no compromise.

1 Like

The overdrive step jump at 0.01 Is not something the developers wants. Its just a bug. For sure they will patch and d correct this un the future update.

4 Likes

I hear reverb on the main outs and headphone outs

I really like the changes to bitcrusher and distortion. Bitcrusher will be much more useful now in particular.

Turning the distortion from 0 to 0.1 is audible, it’s like an on-off switch. That’s fine with me. I don’t see much utility in a very very tiny amount of distortion anyway.

What’s up with the little ‘track sound’ sub-menu that pops up when you hold down a trig in record mode? An upcoming feature? And “fx track”? does this mean we’ll have fx on live inputs? I do hope so.

Not yet … i thought it was my fault and I missed something … but i will do

this is absolutely the case … and yes interesting … but not very usefull as long as you can´t assign the Output. strange that no one else seems to have this problem. I’m curious what elektron has to say.

me too. but on headphoneout ONLY Reverb :wink:

Mzero has done it already :slight_smile:

Very nice and easily fixable.

1 Like