Digitakt or Octatrack ? Midi sequencing

Did you compared it side by side?
OT is neutral, DT with extra eq.
I prefer DT reverb, but I prefer OT delay.
FX per track or master (compressor for ex).
A long list of extra fx for OT, eq, comb filters…
Possible to chain 16 fx.
Possible to control all fx parameters with the crossfader.
High quality fx using resampling with feedback as an fx (pitch delay, chorus, flanger, shimmer reverb)

1 Like

I didn’t really enjoyed the general sound few years back.
Compared to my Assimil8or, it’s day night in term of audio but I will give it another chance soon.

I’m used to Elektron workflow and I don’t wanna dig too much into other type of sequencer now.

1 Like

I have compare them recently with 2 mates who both own one unit. I know OT has lots of features in the box but I don’t like the resampling workflow and prefer do it in Ableton. Few years back I wasn’t using my own samples and sounds so I guess it might be a huge surprise when I will use one again with my own stuffs.

I did really liked the cross fader with scenes and the 4 inputs, internal mixer capacities. Like a sub mixer in the machine. That kind of feature is super handy for my modular set up.

For resume I think I will go first for the OT since it seems way more powerful in term of midi and that what I’m reaching now. Will for sure give a second chance to the OT in term of audio mangling and sample player.

1 Like

Agreed. I’ve always thought the OT sounds great. The newer reverbs are prettier sounding, to be fair, but that is just a matter of taste.

I was debating this very question myself but decided to go with the OT’s might

To clarify, yes, DT is easier to set trig conditions, but OT can still do probability on its MIDI trigs (in the microtiming menu)

2 Likes

Yes for TRC but there is no Probability / Chance parameter for all trigs like in DT/DN/MS/MC.

I’d love that feature for OT and all Elektrons. Still a workaround : a random lfo on VEL, and the note with VEL 0 are not sent (using a fixed velocity on the synth).

2 Likes

I think it may be an individual taste, but since using the OT for a long time, it is very hard not to have the OT filter/EQ on each track. I’ve said it before, but you can get very detailed with frequencies on each track on the OT…as well as having reverb or delay on each individual track. If you would like it to sound like a DT, you could use track 8 as master track, and put a compressor+eq on it. I actually have a AH so I have my audio coloring covered.
Also: For OP there is one thing on the DT that @sezare56 mentioned that some people can’t live without (I have a friend that wants to get a DT just for this) is the program change per step. That is super powerful. I’m not sure there are any other boxes that can do this.

2 Likes

I believe you can save mutes in DT as well for each patterns.
Regarding the arranger mode, I know AR and OT have one, how is it in the DT ?

Yes, Pattern Mute mode. The OT can’t. You need the Arranger for that.

DT don’t have any Arranger/Song mode, but with midi loopback and program changes. Check @AldoVino’s song mode video :
MIDI Loopback Video Tutorial for the Digitakt

Elektron DT, DN, MD, MnM can do it.

Many old sequencers can send program changes at any time.
MPCs (don’t know if it still not possible with LIVE), Yamaha sequencers like QY100, Roland, Korg…

Of course it’s easier to plock them, unfortunately Elektron gear don’t send the same PCs consecutively (if you want to mess with a synth a recall the patch each 4 bars for ex; you have to send a different one before).

It’s possible to map a program change receiving any midi message with a midi processor. That way it can be used from any sequencer. I used it with OT, a PC per note.

2 Likes

Wow, the MnM can send program changes? The gift that keeps on giving. :sweat_smile:

Yep. Per step!
However, not many synths can keep up with program changes that quick, so there’s that.
I had a bass station 2, the program changes on that are insane fast.

3 Likes

Right? Damn… I’m not really tryin to do that stuff, cuz most of my gear is Elektron that can intrnally change everything in an instant, per step. But, I think my friend just likes to see if he can break his other synths :sweat_smile:… and you can get some crazy sounds by overloading another synth with midi…

Ha! I tried it on my sub37, it freaks out real fast, and not in a good way.

1 Like

Blofeld is very fast too. I used it as a drum kit, assigning PC to OT notes with a midi processor. Tetra seems fast from what I experimented recently.

1 Like

A little while back after reading so many people complain about the OT sound quality - something that I never had a problem with - I decided to test in comparison with the other samplers I owned at the time. Long story short the OT was my favourite, it was the closest to the source with no colouration.

Since then I sold 2 of the other samplers (Blackbox and Toraiz SP-16) I also sold the Digitakt but because I did not like the UI, specifically the shared use of trig buttons feeling cramped (mutes, trigs, keyboard) and the mute modes/LED ambiguity. I think the OT has a far better control surface and I enjoy using it way more.

3 Likes

I think so too. It took me a long time to get this familiar with it though. I think that’s the reason this sort of thread is so frequent. It just takes more time and preparation for the OT to “click”. And then even more time to explore your own workflow and make that “click”. The UI on the DT is very easy to learn, so…Most of these threads could be answered with “just keep the DT and get better with what you have”

I am enjoying the BB. Seems pretty transparent. I mean in the way I use it, as almost a mono track recorder (As opposed to multi-track), what goes in, seems to come out the same.

I am having the same doubt to choose which of the two machines I will use to sequence my Virus TI, especially because I approach it as a Dawless configuration to be able to chain several tracks in the same session: the ability to start a pattern with muted parts (as allowed the Digitakt) makes me think that it is the ideal machine both for sequencing and for using it as a Master in the MIDI chain, also that I can choose the tempo for each pattern. But of course, I lose the midi arpeggiated and the dedicated LFOs per track of the OT … Damn!

1 Like