Digitakt Mute send NOTE OFF on Midi Track?

Suppose I have a note on a midi track triggered at step 1 for the entire length of the bar. When I mute that track, the note continues to play. I realize this is because muting mutes trigs, but is there a way to have muting send “NOTE OFF” midi signals?

I think this is just the nature of long samples, if it’s one sample which lasts the entire length of the bar and then you’re trying to mute before it’s played itself to completion, you can use slice machine to cut it and then use the option to lay the slices on consecutive trigs, so then when you hit mute it will mute at the next slice essentially cutting the note off.

With a sample I don’t think you can achieve immediate note off via midi command the way you’re thinking. You can try it though.

I’m referring to a MIDI track, not an audio track. so e.g. the track triggers a whole note on step 1, and I hit mute on step4 - the note continues to play since it has already been triggered, but in theory the NOTE OFF midi message could be sent to the synth and stop it playing. Wonder if this is posisble

verify the trig length is not set to infinite.

Correct - it’s set to e.g. 16

You’re talking about sending the note off message to the synth and not to digitakt then? Mutes are already set to internal and external in the menu? So you know that the mute message is being received by the other device?

ie mute destination is set to int / ext under port configuration just to be explicit about what I’m asking?

I did change these settings and to no effect. I verified that the trig messages were being sent, but I guess whatever is sent on mute (looks like CC 110) is not recognized by the synth as turning off notes. Although on one synth it corresponds to setting reverb to 100% dry, so I guess that explains why that was happening :slight_smile:

Well, that sucks. Do you have the midi implementation chart for the synth you’re working with so that I can take a look at it? Or if you tell me what it is I’ll look for it on google.

It’s a Korg Minilogue. It documents 120 as notes off (as well as 123). These seem to be the standard CC messages for this stuff, at least per

I’ll take a look at the midi implementation chart for the minilogue, but I’m not positive that a mute is the same as a note off cc, you’d have to monitor the midi coming out of the DT when it sends a mute message to confirm.

edit: looking at another thread here, apparently minilogue can’t filter incoming transport events (disable transport for example) and I suspect mute might be a sysex or nrpn state under the same conditions, that could be part of (or the) issue.

I’m going to look into the viability of a workaround with cc as you’ve supposed there might be.

second edit: the midi implementation chart that I got from korg is sysex heavy and it does show note off but it’s in a sysex chain, where were you referencing your information from? Just so that I can get on the same page with you.

This is what I have:

minilogue_MIDIimp_rev.txt (57.7 KB)

make another midi track assigned to the same channel sending a 0 volume note every trigger, then unmute that channel when you mute the first one.
should turn off any note playing on the midi channel.
not a fix but maybe a workaround

2 Likes