Digitakt modified with internal battery

Lots of helpful info in this thread! Got my Digitakt/tone combo modded up thanks to everyone!

I was having some trouble with fitment in the Digitone so I made a frame to hold the 21700 cells easily. Should fit the Digitakt as well.

Also made a little casing for the DROK voltage reader so it snaps onto the back of the Digitakt/tone.

Here are the thingiverse links for those with printers that want to use them.

Sorry for the weird picture montage but apparently new users can only post one photo in a comment at once so had to work around that :slight_smile:

11 Likes

is this the board I need? get 3 batteries and thenā€¦?

1 Like

Not to rain on a parade but iā€™m genuinely curious since ā€˜is it battery powered?ā€™ comes up a lot with gear these daysā€¦

Are people often making music in a location that has no power to plug into? The only thing I can think of is like flights and bus/train. Even those are slowly getting power integrated into them.

1 Like

This is the right BMS, yes.

There are a lot of applications. I travel a lot and like to play around with it on transatlantic flights. Itā€™s great for live performances too, as you can power a second device and be independent of venueā€™s power and bring less power supplies with you. Just less cords in general. Of course you can easily live without it, but itā€™s just more convenient in some situations.

3 Likes

The freedom of moving round with a box and just headphones without any worry of yanking the power out is a nice thing. I only know it from my brief time with an mpc live and it was great. The biggest benefit to me would be sitting on the sofa without trailing wires across the room, then being able to just put it on the side without someone yanking it off the table. It also depends if youā€™re the sort of person whoā€™ll go out on your own to sit somewhere nice and make a beat. I take my iPad but I can see something digitakt sizes being good to throw in a bag.

Location can inspire, doesnā€™t even have to be anywhere special. Iā€™ve seen dope videos of people jamming on 404s in subway stations. Iā€™d much rather watch that than another downwards shot of someoneā€™s desk

4 Likes

Is this digitakt still alive and well?

Just following up to make sure this project didnā€™t explode orā€¦ worse.

only 3 21700 batteries? or can i add as much as i want?

how about something like this:

Yes. Both Digitakt and Octatrack are running perfectly.

Iā€™m not sure whatā€™s inside this battery Pack, so I canā€™t guarantee. Doesnā€™t seem to include BMS board.

Youā€™re not limited by 3 batteries, you can connect 6 if you put them in two parallel 3-battery 12v packs. Thereā€™s not much space for more, though and Iā€™m not sure extra 5-6 hours are worth another 200 grams of weight.

so the 21700s are the biggest mah sized batteries for this set up?

1 Like

I tried with 18760 first, then upgraded to 21700.

There might be bigger sizes, I donā€™t know, do the research. Technically they may exist. But the bigger the battery, the more it weights. Thereā€™s no way around physics. 21700 were acceptable in both weight and performance in my case, and easy to get online.

1 Like

are you allowed to take the battery-modded DT on a flight?

How would anyone know that it has a battery inside? Thereā€™s the answer.

1 Like

Iā€™ve flown multiple times both over Europe and transatlantic. Digitakt went through airport scanners but everything looked completely normal to airport security. Only thing ā€” it was always in hand luggage.

yeah id take it as a carry on - thanks for the report

are you not using a case/holder for the batteries? just connect them via soldering the wires like in the video and tape it up?

Yes. There are images above in the thread.

yes i see just the finished pack, you mention welding the batteries together but im assuming you mean the wire connections like in the video

No, I mean actual spot welding, but this requires a special welding machine. Soldering also works, but itā€™s not advised to overheat the battery so welding is considered cleaner and safer.

Google Ā«battery spot weldingĀ».