Digitakt modified with internal battery

Ah, I got a normal Ti. But the internal strucrure is more or less the same, so it should not matter.

Yeah, Iā€™m sure itā€™ll be a very similar ballpark at least. Fingers crossed :slight_smile:

Just my 2 cents:

• My Digitakt freezes below 10.89v
  • My OT MK2 freezes below 8.9v

So for example if I have a battery powered Digitakt, and a power-slaved OT2, Digitakt will last around 2:30, then freeze, but OT2 will be able to continue working from its ā€œdead bodyā€ for at least an hour more.

2 Likes

I will test that on the DT. 4x3400mAh 18650 should be able to power it for a loooong time. Hoping for 8h+ Not sure how to do it exactly, as the parts did not arrive today.
Bonus would be to have the 12V on the input to power another synth. Like the Mono Station for instance. That would be a movile dream team for me. Small yet powerfull.

what power bank is this?

No name aliexpress)

Awesome the Ti is.

The display gets dimmer and dimmer but it plays down to 5.7V :rofl:

Usable down to 6.5V

2 Likes

Thatā€™s insane! I tried out the snow with a 9v DC power supply and it wouldnā€™t boot. Might need to investigate further. Cheers for testing it out!

1 Like

Iā€™ll check that. Bootet on 12V and then decreased.

Edit: it boots on 6.2V

1 Like

Wow. All I have to test the Snow with is a 9v 2a adapter, or a 12v one. No joy at all with 9v. I think at this point I might as well go with a 4s2p or 4s3p battery and a regulator to ensure I can get a nice, constant 12v. Iā€™ll also hopefully get a bit more out of the batteries that way as well.

Consider a stepup inbefore, to have the 4s fully charged takes 16.8V. On the 12V, you would only charge them to not even half their capacity.

So input 12V, stepup to 16.8, then into the BCM, then stepdown to like 10V or whatever your gear ends running with.

I still have to experiment a bi on how to get the stepoed down 10V to the input again without having the BCM use itā€™s own power to chargeā€¦ or Iā€™ll build a perpetuum mobile.

1 Like

Forgive my ignorance; whatā€™s a BCM?

Iā€™m thinking of using a 4s BMS, into a voltage regulator, so I step down 16.8v to 12v, and hopefully should just get 12v continuous even with low battery.

Oh these acronyms :wink:

BMS for sure. But if you use the 12V to charge, the batteries will not get fully charged, thatā€™s the point of upstepping beforehand.

Just found these babies and will measure rhe space available in the OT tomorrow: 4x3,7 V 7200 mAh 26650 for 27ā‚¬, crazy price and ultra capacity. That should power two devices for a whole night!
Only the name concernsā€¦ think back to the samsung pocket heaters :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Brilliant, good advice, thanks!

Also beware ultrafire batteries. I can almost guarantee they arenā€™t 7200mah. Had some for my vape years ago and they were trash.

2 Likes

OT2 Mod done!

And added external power reading. Not yet sure how to attach.

12 Likes

Awesome! Really neat having the whole thing internal. Iā€™m going mental and building a mkii to my portable wooden ot/virus box, so slightly overkill lol

New Digitakt owner here, super interested in this.

Anyone tried this on the Digitone? I just attempted and three 21700 cells donā€™t seem to fit. I suspect the main pcb extends just a little bit further than in the DT, which would appear to prevent the cells from resting on the bottom of the case and the slight angle of the pack prevents the top portion from sitting flush.

Iā€™m going to attempt to arrange the cells like this:

[]
[][]

with the BMS off to the side and see if that works, just more running wires involved.

Yup, thatā€™s exactly what I did. Works great.

1 Like

Feedback after having the DT with me for two weeks on holidays: Battery runtime on 3x21700 with 12.0V charge is 5h. Charging to 12.4V gives a whopping extra 2h. Didnā€™t try higher voltages as I have enough experience with smelly popping SMDs and donā€™t want to wreck the DT.
The older devices had an internal PSU that was easy to change - the newer ones have it included on the main PCBā€¦
First I wanted to try 4x18650 and charging them with 4x4.2=16.8V then downvolting to 11V to maximize runtime, but this clearly is overkill.
The OT2 still runs fine on his 3x18650, runtime is a little longer than 6h - totally fine.

Thanks again for this great idea @laikrodiz - having a portable sampler/groovebox is supernice.

4 Likes