Digitakt MIDI & Audio recording latency

Hello everyone,

I have created a setup for my creative process that doesn’t involve computer, so my idea is to first sketch out a track on my Digitakt and synths, and then go into Ableton and record the track live. In Ableton I want to do all of the post-processing and mixing and finalize the track.
I have all the synths connected with midi-thru to the MIDI out of the digitakt and all audio inputs of the synths go into separate inputs on Babyface Pro FS audio interface. All synths are sequenced from the Digitakt and slaved to its clock, so everything is timed perfectly.

In Ableton I use Overbridge to record Digitiakt’s audio channels and it’s all fine, but the MIDI channels are completely out of sync. I want to record the audio only from the synths, so I am using audio channels in Ableton to capture it. I tried the delay compensation driver setting, but nothing changed.

I have searched a lot, but I still didn’t know which route to go, so to have perfect sync when I am recording:

• ERM Midiclock - I don’t have experience with such devices, but I can try it if it will solve the issue 100%
  • Slaving Ableton to Digitakt’s clock - not sure if this is possible
  • Record MIDI data from the Digitakt first and then to audio channels using the hardware delay compensation setting for each synth
  • Some kind of recorder that will record the channels separately and then import the audio in Ableton

I’m sure many Digitakt owners have solved this issue in one way or another. Any advise will be welcome and thanks in advance!

Have you tried disabling sync in Overbridge completely (there’s an option in the VST at the top) and enabling midi sync directly from Ableton to the Digitakt via USB? You can still do all audio with Overbridge. You do the usual enable midi sync and transport receive on the device side.

It helps when I do this on the Syntakt. It could be worth a try. I have a similar creative process.

1 Like

Hi,

my workflow is the same and I also had the same problem.

I got it solved like this:

If you want to record everything directly live, this is my workaround:

• Be sure you have the delay compensation driver settings set correctly.
  • Create a track for each midi channel
  • each midi channel receives exactly one channel from the Digitakt
  • choose as output only one midi channel that goes to your interface
  • set a negative track delay until the latency fits (or depending on the setup a positive delay)

So the midi flow is: Digitakt → Midi-Tracks(Ableton) → negative Track-Delay(Ableton) → Midi-Interface → Hardware Synths

Unfortunately Overbrifge only corrects the audio delay. Maybe it will be fixed with an update…

Alternatively you can record the midi tracks, quantize them and then control your synths via Ableton.

Hope this could help otherwise contact me again :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot! I am going to try this tomorrow, together with other ideas I got meanwhile.
I am adding Octatrack soon and I want to have this sorted out as it bugs me immensely.
Would you mind sending a screenshot of the MIDI setup you described, whenever you have the time? It will be very helpful, just to make sure I have nailed everything correctly.