Digitakt Logic Help (8 tracks are dry, where are the efx?)

Hi everyone,

In the past I had connected my Digitakt to Logic Pro X and everything came through identical to how it’s played on the box itself. I tried connecting today and now I’m only getting the dry samples. Any idea what’s going on? Does it have something to do with Digitakt Core Audio vs Bit Accurate input?

Anyone help would be AWESOME

Thanks!

The separate tracks are always dry when you stream them to your computer because the fx in the DT are send fx. You send a track to the fx and the effected signal gets fed to the main output. So at the main output you’ll hear the fx.

Make sure you add a channel in your daw with the main output from the vst as input. Then in the DT settings head over to audio routing and mute all tracks from going to the main output so you are left with only the send fx at the main output. This way you can record the fx separately from the dry tracks.

Hope this helps and makes sense. Cheers!

5 Likes

Thanks! I swear I thought the last time I did this I was able to record all 8 straight individually with their own FX (how it’s played when you listen on the box itself). Do you know where in the settings I can adjust the audio routing to mute all tracks going from the main out?

Is there a way to record the 8 tracks with their effects on them (not having the EFX separate from the tracks). Seems off that I would record all, then have a separate EFX channel…? Doesn’t this negate the fact that they are separate tracks since they are all just being played through the stereo FX out?

For example, if I change something in logic, will the fx channel react to that or will it still be the same thing I recorded initially?

It’s impossible because these are send fx so that was never a possibility :slight_smile:

Having fx on each track individually would require an fx per channel. The DT doesn’t have that. That’s why each track has a knob to send the track to the delay or reverb. With those parameters you literally send the audio from a track to the delay or reverb send fx.

Settings -> audio routing
Here you can mute the tracks from the mainout , leaving only the send fx present at the main output.

Indeed, recording a live session and then editing one of the dry tracks therefore won’t effect the recorded send fx as it’s audio you recorded. This is one of the downsides but just the nature of how things work.

2 Likes

Cool thanks so much for your help. I’m going to have to play around for a little bit to get a feel for how I am going to use it! It almost seems pointless to have 8 out and then have the FX (and can’t edit in Logic after the fact), to me that means it’s basically back down to the stereo out :/.

I was hoping the whole point was to record everything and then be able to mess with it later but it seems like you are stuck playing it live like if you were just to plug it in normally.

Is it correct in setting it up “Route to Main 0/10” or are you suppose to keep the FLTR and AMP assigned there making it 2/10? As well as 9/9 for “Send to FX”? Seems like I’m getting a weird lag.

Thanks again,
(going to hunt for some overbridge logic tutorials)

1 Like

8/10

The amp and filter are the delay and reverb to main out.

I feel you regarding the editing. It’s not that bad though imho. You can still edit small things without it being a big problem. But it’s good practice to record as good as possible so you won’t need major editing.
The main reason why this is handy is so you can use eq / compress etc. On individual dry tracks. It makes the mixing process more flexible.

Of course recording some things separately through the main outs including fx is still a useful thing. But editing wet tracks is as problematic if not more problematic than having the fx channel separately in my experience. I only do this on channels that contain synth lines and where I like to go a bit nuts with the fx in a break for instance.

2 Likes

Well then… You saved me some time to have a look in my manual, although I was trying to record into Reason, yesterday.

For me, having the 8 tracks dry and main wet makes sense. If I am trying to capture a live performance I want just the stereo out (USB or tsr jacks) recorded. Otherwise I want them dry and use much more powerful and robust effects ie vsts or other outboard gear. Or I want everything recorded where I can have two mixes of sorts [one live take, one post with vsts etc] splicing and pasting between the two.

1 Like

The cool thing is you can record a performance with 8 dry tracks and the FX bus. I really like that they gave us a FX track

It’s troublesome for me because when I create tracks on the machine, I rely heavily on the processing of the sounds (IE reverb, delay) to create the grooves. To receive the samples straight, makes the beat sound ridiculous and not really coherent.

It would really cool if they were individual because then I could record the whole thing then mute or unmute certain tracks in logic for different sections of the song. Now I am stuck playing it live because I am reliant on the delay. May just have some tracks not being sent to the delay.

For example I have a simple song that’s 5 tracks:

1. Bass Drum
  2. Snare
  3. Hi Hat
  4. Tom
  5. Fills

The hi hat is swung by the delay put on it (the delay adds the 8th notes). I wanted the fill and toms in certain sections so in theory (before learning more about the restrictions) I was going to play the whole thing into the computer and figure out where the fills made sense as well as when the tom parts come in. Now I have to have it prestructured, which isn’t a huge deal but also isn’t the most versatile when creating a new track when you are not sure of how all the parts will lay out.

Instead of being able to have a cool beat with all the parts and move them around to fit in the song I am writing. I have to record the whole thing, then rerecord it after learning/writing the song structure and how and where the beats fill in.

1 Like

at the first look it was not so obvious but finally it works. thanks a lot!

1 Like

I know exactly what you mean because I do the same thing - groove building with the effects.

The delay on the Digitakt is just a simple ping-pong delay, though. So what you could do is bypass it on the machine and set up a simple delay insert on each channel in Logic with the same ping pong settings. OR send them all to an aux channel with the same insert. It’s just a thought?

1 Like