Digitakt - live workflow

Hello fellow Elektronauts,

I am here to drop a few lines to ask for a peer-review of my Digitakt live use.

I am in a process where I have to set up some studio tracks in an Octatrack (which is the stem machine) and the Digitakt (for all the drums).

It is the first time I have to organize the Digitakt in a way where it has to serve different (the original sound from the recordings) drums on every bank.
This is due to the fact that I have one bank on the Octa for one song in my set.
My Octa is the master and the DT just follows via PC. This works great.

To not lose the changes I made for different banks forced me to save track-sounds to sound-pool and the plocked each and every trig in my patterns to these sounds.
This is the one thing that is a bit tedious. Load sample, programm a sound, save the sound to the pool, plock EVERY trig to a specific soundlock.

I guess there is no other way to achieve this (due to the lack of kits in DT).

So any comments are welcome, hints etc.

Best
Mario

go to the “SRC” page for track
press FUNC/Sound Browser
Load the Sound you want.

all the settings on the track match the Sound you saved. No need to P-lock individual samples

Or am I missing what you’re asking?

Thank you for answering, Digitakt is not the hot shit anymore it seems.
Maybe I am wrong with what I think :wink:

I have a song in Bank A (patterns 01-16) that uses some specific sounds / samples (that I have saved to the soundpool before already.
Proove me wrong but when I change to other sounds from the soundpool in bank b (again pattern 01-16) this will disturb my track settings of other patterns.
So I have to plock the track-sound on the respective track on every trig so I will not destroy my arrangement on the other tracks.

Or am I completely wrong and can just have total different samples on every pattern? :thinking:
Hope it´s that way and I made another dumb mistake while setting my live set up.

Thank´s again for your answer :smiley:

As I long as I am understanding you right; yeah, you can have different samples on each pattern.
pattern B1 is unrelated to pattern A1, except that the samples they both use have to fit within the memory/sample limits

1 Like

Okay, that means that saving a pattern is saving the sample/sound to the track of that pattern ?
No neurotic plocking of sounds to every trig that should hold a kick/snare…etc.?

1 Like

Yes you can. A sound which is assigned / loaded to a track is unique for each pattern, so each pattern is fully self contained.

If you change a parameter or sample of track 1 (kick) on pattern A1, it won’t change the sound of track 1 (kick) on pattern A2 or C1.

1 Like

Hey I have another recommendation for you!

After you have set every pattern to the way you like it, save it and lock your project.
Every time you load the project, no matter what changes you make to it, it will load the same as when you saved it. You can lock it from the project manager menus. If you make changes you like, save the project to a new slot and lock it again.

And yes, each patterns’ tracks are independent of other patterns. Use sounds if you want to load the same sound to different patterns.

2 Likes

Thank you for your input. :smiley:

This is good news and what I was hoping for. I don´t know what went wrong and led me to the impression it is not.
I am not new to the Digitakt but setting it up for live use for the first time.
Was my studio drum machine for some years (Overbridge, one project per song).
Context changes demand. :wink:

1 Like

Hey this is a pretty cool idea when I am finished with the preparations for my live set.
Locking will keep it playable but still safe in terms of a clean starting point.
Thank you :smiley:

1 Like

had never noticed this feature! Super useful, thanks

1 Like