Digitakt LFO -> sample slot technique on M:S

I’d like to be able to do the LFO -> sample slot trick on M:S … or something close, I’d like to be able to easily get a lot of varied but related sounds on one track. I think this is sometimes called ‘round robin’.

Example of what I mean here

What’s the best way to do this ? Am I right in thinking that I’ll need a sample chain with 120 samples, and then LFO -> sample start (with length = 1) ?

I can’t think of any other way right now.

A sample chain is pretty much the only option that uses the LFO.

Alternatively, sound locking steps.

1 Like

The ‘by hand’ method, yes. That’s what I was hoping to improve on.

And it has to be a sample chain with 120 samples with length = 1, right ?

Anything else and trigs wont necessarily start on a slice. Actually … Unless random LFO wave gets quantised to whole numbers … perhaps not even then.

I need to experiment some more …

Alright … for the record:

If you chain together 120 samples, set

• sample start to 60,
  • sample length to 1,
  • LFO Wave to random
  • LFO Dep to 15

You should get a random selection of your samples, right ?

Well, when playing notes (via trig keys) this is wrong. It’s totally unpredictable, each note you play may or may go into some kind of repeat cycle (this is on a fresh project, so no retrigs set)

Suspect I have exposed a M:S firmware bug.

EDIT: However, if you sequence the notes, you don’t get the repeat effect and it does appear that sample start is quantised (e.g. 0, 1, 2, rather than 3.31, 3.56, 1.43).

EDIT 2: To get the fullest selection of your 120 samples set

• sample start to 60,
  • sample length to 1,
  • LFO Wave to random
  • LFO Dep to 29.5

This appears to vary sample start from 1 to 119

With sample start to 59, it varies sample start from 0 to 118

1 Like

Perhaps the Decay parameter has to be set to a certain length to avoid the repeat cycle when playing the pads?

1 Like

That’s a hack that could get round the bug, yes. Unfortunately I’m finding the whole thing a bit unpredictable. What I called ‘repeat cycle’ is just the sample playing beyond the length of ‘1’… randomly. And it also seems to happen with sequenced notes as well as played ones.

I’d better stop adding more to this thread till I can get to the bottom of it.