Digitakt Integration within an ableton live Gig Setup

Hi there,
I am currently looking to build a new gig setup involving an Elektron Digitakt.
I have an hybrid rock/electronic band with various synths and drums machines like the Digitakt occasionally sequenced.
I intend to use Ableton Live to manage the structure of my songs and i am facing some issues.
Regarding the Digitakt i see only two options :

• Using Digitakt intern paterns and send program change with Ableton Live to replace “song mode”. Witch is working but with always 1 bars offset (i send a pgrm change when triggering the next scene and it take 1 bar to go to the proper patern do you know what i mean ?).
  • Using Ableton live and maybe a “push 2” to control and sequence the Digitakt audio tracks witch will cut me off the workflow possibility of the digitakt and also i would have to set up 8 live midi tracks with 8 different channel output (to control each audio track of the DT) and it is not the most flexible way to work for me (I bet Overbridge integration will help me a lot whit this situation).

Does anyone here could help me to improve one or the other solution ? Or maybe a different idea :slight_smile: ?
If its not perfectly clear feel free to ask me for more information, i’m french and sometimes i get messy with my english !

Regards,

Etienne

1 Like

yea i don’t really see any good solutions at the moment for the patch change issue. it really should be immediate, that it is not is hopefully just a bug that can be fixed.

basically wait for overbridge, and if using a DT, have dummy clips in ableton between scenes that change patterns for you. have some blank patterns as well you can switch to…i don’t know. there are many work arounds utilizing Max for Live (http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=370 for example) but ultimately for DT to be useful with Ableton, patch change needs to change pattern immediately.

Thank you for your answer, i think i will go with 8 ableton live midi channel to control each audio track and i will use patern change only to do a “sound” change for each song. I will maybe adapt my project when OB will be available.

this is an option, but then you don’t get utilize the digitakt sequencer, w/ parameter locks etc, which is a huge reason why elektron gear is so powerful

I know but i cant see a better solution for now. The DT will still be clocked so maybe it will work with parameter lock only ? Need to try it to figure it out.

Bonsoir Etienne !
Je tombe sur ton post car je cherche sensiblement la même chose.
Voilà, je compose à partir de mon Push1. Ableton joue toute la partie Drum + quelques synthés et envoi du MIDI vers mes machines (Monomachine, Minitaur, Micromonsta…). Je cherche à acquérir une DT pour avoir plus de “patate” coté drum. Mais je souhaite garder ma façon de travailler. Je compte mettre la DT en esclave. Elle reçoit le clock et les partitions midi pour les 8 pistes sur lesquels j’ai uploader mes samples de drum. Je garde mes 8 pistes MIDI pour le rebalancer dans Live, histoire de pouvoir récupérer le midi généré par le sequancer du DT. En attendant de pouvoir pleinement profiter de l’Overbridge… S’il arrive !
Je souhaiterai savoir si je peux automatiser les Fx du DT directement dans Ableton.
Merci d’avance pour ton avis et ton éclairage très précieux !
Julien

1 Like

Hey bud. I saw a max4live digitakt song mode on here recently.

The interface looked great! I’ll be grabbing it as soon as I get my DT.