Digitakt II value flaw? [resolved]

[ FW 1.01 ]
Not sure if this is a bug tho but curious if it applies to my unit only.
The value of the encoders aren’t showing symmetrical values, like they aren’t properly calibrated.
The difference in value is minuscule and likely not even noticeable but it’s kind of annoying.

For example LFO speed goes from -64 to 63.99 and LFO depth from -128 to 127.98
Anyone experiencing the same thing?

1 Like

It’s nothing to do with your encoders (dual-potentiometers in fact) - it’s the bi-product of how a binary system can be divided, there are always even value ranges, but most parameters are bipolar and include a zero midpoint which means the range is asymmetric

Roland address this by limiting one range (dropping a potential value) so you get e.g. +/-63

How it’s implemented in this 14bit (High resolution) case is annoying - the highest potential value should not be handled as 127 and 127/128ths but should be rounded up on a one off basis for any similar value internally (i.e. treated as if 128)

so if the Modulation offers the accurate 99.99% of teh range, the final binary value should be assumed to equal 100% internally, even though the binary value is not that

Anyway . there is a bugs topic already, this isn’t a bug, so really this should be renamed and marked as resolved which i will do shortly

3 Likes

thanks! :pray:

1 Like