Digitakt II - MIDI Loopback, pushing limits of DTII sample mangling

I wanted to explore the limits of the Digitakt II as a sample mangler. In this track, I created a simple four-chord piano loop and manipulated the samples extensively. The Digitakt II offers three LFOs per track, but I needed more. To achieve this, I employed the ‘midi loopback’ technique by connecting the MIDI out to the MIDI in and sending CC data from MIDI tracks to Audio tracks. With two LFOs per MIDI track on the Digitakt II, I was able to utilize up to five LFOs per Audio track. (But it’s perfectly possible to route multiple MIDI tracks’ CC data to a single Audio track as well)

The track begins with the original piano loop and some added texture. Gradually, I introduce ‘mangled’ versions of that same piano loop, eventually phasing out the original loop to highlight the altered samples. Seven audio tracks were used, six of which had the exact same piano loop assigned. The last audio track featured additional texture and tape noise, which I also heavily modulated and distorted.

Audio recorded directly from USB. No post-processing.

Enjoy!

18 Likes

Nice. What’s the device displaying the spectrum please ?

1 Like

it’s a cheap, random (but accurate) spectrum analyzer i found on amazon years ago. you can find plenty (and for a lot cheaper) on aliexpress etc.

just don’t pay any money to the etsy guys who literally buy dozens of the shittiest, cheapest, inaccurate analyzers, spray some airbrush on it and sell it with 1500% profit margin.

3 Likes

Fantastic

1 Like