Digitakt II crackling and noise on right channel

When I turn my unit on, for about 10 seconds I get loud crackles and pops out of both my right headphone channel and right output channel. I’m assuming it’s a grounding issue. Have others experienced something similar, or found ways of mitigating it?

1 Like

Yeah i get this as well. Sounds like static. Comes after the unit boots up and loads the project. Yesterday i could turn off usb and reboot and it went away, today no such luck. I’ll try a few different things later tonight to see what causes it, i have it plugged in as a midi send and receive, there’s inputs and outputs all connected, and i had the usb cable in as well

Appears to be my right input, i disconnected everything except outputs. But when I turn inputs up in mixer i get static, and i can see the input indicator going nuts in the record menu.

Weird, it was fine yesterday after the initial issue and reboot. I’ll try a few more things later, see if it’s a temporary thing or if it’s completely botched

Appears it’s botched. Now i can’t even get sound on the left channel at all.

As with the OP, static on right channel after boot, goes away after some 10 seconds.

After that short spikes every now and then.
Going to contact Elektron support

where did you guys purchase yours from?

Got mine from Dlxmusic here in sweden

…ooops…that sounds not good…

Appears to have fried my mackie mix8 outputs as well. I was running the hydra and minilogue xd into the mix8, then mix8 into dt2 inputs. Can’t get any sound out of the mix8 at all now, neither through headphone out, cr out, or main out… weird as hell

Is it possible that the issue is with the mixer, your monitors, electrical issues, headphones, or somewhere else in the studio? It seems odd that a possibly malfunctioning Digitakt would take out some other pieces in your studio as well.

1 Like

I mean, it’s technically possible. But the setup was like this:

Minilogue going into blackhole, blackhole into mixer
Digitone going into mixer
Mixer going into OG Digitakt

OG DT into DJS-1000, DJS-1000 into DJM-450 -> headphones

Hydra was going into my sound card

Changed to this:

Minilogue -> blackhole -> mixer
Hydra -> mixer
Mixer -> DT2
DT2 -> OG DT

Rest of chain unchanged from DT->DJM

All the gear has been in use a lot over the past years

I add one new thing, suddenly that new things inputs are weird, and my mixer is now fried

Plus another user has reported the same static on startup issues with the DT2

Nothing else appears broken in the studio/house

Yeah, anything is possible. I have been fortunate, or rather unfortunate to troubleshoot a lot of audio issues, so I was just throwing out some suggestions. Best of luck.

I’ve reached out to support, so we’ll see what they say.

I guess next time i buy anything I’ll start it up in isolation. RIP mackie, you’ve been a good mixer

Yeah thanks by the way :heart:

I did stupidly enough test this on my digitone again after, and couldn’t hear a thing, so the mixer’s gone.

I’ve tested again with a passive mixer with minilogue xd+blackhole and hydra going into it, and that works with digitone. DT2 still static in inputs with nothing but power connected. Not going to test anything else now, don’t want to risk any more gear with the DT2

I’m seeing this same issue too. Static fuzz on the right input. It gets worse when all the trig keys are lit up for pattern select, or when the spinning loading icon is on the screen.

Hard to know if it’s a hardware or software issue. If I make an empty project then the issue isn’t there, but then on next power cycle it comes back again.

Sounds like the issue I had with my AH+FX

Thanks for pointing this out. I have a convoluted setup with several usb and powered devices chained, so don’t want to risk blowing anything, will be sure to be careful.

Updated to 1.01? Inputs on the DT ii sounded horrible when it arrived (cracks, noise,…), fixed after 1.01 update…

Was it a hardware issue? :thinking:

First thing i did, will try a re-update

Edit: nope, didn’t help

It was… Had to return it.

3 Likes

Ah that’s a downer! Thanks for the info :+1:

1 Like