Digitakt Granular

ello everyone!
I am not sure if this technique is already out, but during my research I found nothing, so I decided to make a video about it.
To achieve a good granular effect, in addition on using the LFO on the track of the sample playing, I use a MIDI track LFO to change the starting point value of the sample start parameter.
If someone is already doing this, then sorry for the repost >D

19 Likes

Is this similar to EZBots technique?

Or Slow Haste?

2 Likes

The more the merrier. Love granular synthesis techniques.

2 Likes

Nope, because none of them use MIDI track and the MIDI loop trick :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very cool.

1 Like

Lovely! Thanks for that!

1 Like

Is there an advantage to using the midi lfo instead of the sample tracks second lfo?

Yes, because:

• You control much better the start point
  • You can have only unipolar LFO while you cannot have it on the sample track as triggers are used for grane density and size
  • That means that time-stretch it is easier to manage
  • Two LFOs on the same parameter have a difference behaviour that the MIDI LFO (way more chaotic - the random LFO looks like always go in on the negative side and never on the positve)
  • You can decide when to reset to the starting point by using triggers on the MIDI track
2 Likes

Very cool. I figured this out a few months back but never got around to making a tutorial video for it. I looked around for it at the time and didn’t find anything, so I think you’re the first one.

I’m curious since you were thinking about it at around the same time if you were motivated by the same thing as me, which was seeing the demos for the lemondrop. I thought it looked like a great little instrument but I can’t afford to buy anything. So instead I focused on how far I could push my Digitakt. So far, I only used the technique in this video:

The way I’ve got it set up is I’m using 4 MIDI tracks for the internal tracks. The internal tracks are in pairs so tracks 1 and 2 are on channel 1, 3 and 4 are on channel 2 and so forth. The sequence is just a little arp thing that’s programmed so the notes can overlap when I change the decay. Each of the tracks have a sample of a note from the Uno synth.

Two MIDI tracks are also controlling the Uno synth. One is sending that same sequence to the Uno and one is sending a drum sequence that I switch to in the second half.

It’s a fun little trick.

5 Likes

Dang, this sound nice! Can’t wait to try it!! <3
I always liked granular effects. In my modular rack I have both Clouds and Beads and they just sound amazing.
I wanted to give that granular vibes but without using external gear.

1 Like

Hi, could you put a little more flash on this technique?

coooool stuff man. I’ve experimented a bit with the midi loopback LFO for “precise” time stretching and gotten very interesting results.

I think the main difference is that when you use a normal LFO to modulate sample start the sample start position only gets affected by the LFO when there’s a trigger, kind of like sample and hold even if the LFO is in free running mode, whereas the MIDI loopback LFO modulates sample start continuously whether there’s triggers or not.

I’ve found that one drawback of doing it this way is that the MIDI CC for sample start only has integer precision even though the LFO itself is floating point - but on a range of 0-120 it’s not that noticeable and is pleasantly glitchy IMO.

I’m gonna have to give this a go again later tonight, thanks for the inspo :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great!! Happy to have given you inspiration!!

Post here if you come out with some interesting results!!

Hi guys, I’m relatively new to the Digitakt world. I’ve spent a couple of hours trying to get my midi loop to work for this granular effect and the furthest I can get is having the sample start scan back and forth, but not flow from start to end. I managed this through having a midi trig in each step. I’m sure there’s an easy solution (parameter :lock_with_ink_pen: my Lfo on each trig step?)I’m missing but I just wondered if any kind soul would be able to give me a brief step by step for the midi config?

I can add photos of my setup so far if helpful