Digitakt Freestyle Sets

I finally managed to record a longer freestyle session with the Digitakt. The DFAM helps to fill up space with some crazy sequences.
First i tried to organize a live set with different preprogrammed patterns. Then i realized my freestyle sessions sound more lively and interesting. Now i’m trying to improvise everything. Much more fun but also more dangerous. No risk no fun!

5 Likes

Here’s a new one. This time without the DFAM but 2 Midimixes.
Thank you Elektron for this wonderful machine!

5 Likes

Your last video is much better. A lot cleaner even tho it is still a bit harsh sometimes. Congrats on the improvements.

2 Likes

I really like this a lot, it sounds very layered and proves to me that it’s possible to make quite complex and evolving music with just this one box. More encouragement for me.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! I’m still working on slower and smoother transitions. But it’s more fun to tweak around like crazy. :slight_smile:

Thanks! I’m glad you like it.

2 Likes

How are you mapping the midi machines with the digitakt?

I’m using the Mode Machines Cerebel usb-to-midi converter and a usb hub to connect them.
I control tune, filter, levels, start point, decay and fx parameters via midi.

Straight forward tool techno this time…

Awesome! I’ve some questions for you:

Which parameters you still control from the Digitakt?

Why those controllers and no other?

Do you have any problem with the CNTRL ALL and the fact that you have potentiometers instead of encoders?

How would you manage to have a sort of pre-listen or cue when using, for example, Digitakt and Digitone?

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks a lot!

1. Not too many. Lfo settings, but i hardly used them in these sets. Decay for the bass, sample slot, trig conditions, retrigs. I think that’s about it.

2. They’re the cheapest but also the best for me. 8-9 faders, not too big,a lot of knobs. The Novation Launch Control XL is definitely better. Better knobs, led’s, value ranges, usable push buttons.

3. I don’t use control all.
    I like potis better because i don’t have to dial around 10 times or so to significantly change values. Feels way better than the encoders.
    Only problem is that some parameters in the Digitakt only have 4 values or something. With the novation you can set it up really nice but e.g. with the midimix all the settable values are in the first quarter of the knob range.

4. I would use a dj mixer of some sort. Otherwise you can only turn one device down and plug your headphones in to prelisten.

Thanks for your answers Dr.K.

I´m thinking about getting a Launch Control XL, but I´m concerned about pattern load, paste and ctrl all, which for now I think I´ll be using (I have a Digitone and I use sometimes a friend´s Digitakt).

You could use a controller and still use pattern load, paste and ctrl all directly on the digi.

Yes, only being careful to return where the controller is, I think. You don’t use pattern chains, do you? Is a pain for me because of the «no kits» philosophy of the machine, so I don’t use.

1 Like

You’re right. That is a problem and i stopped using pattern chains because of parameter jumps when i tweaked the sounds live.

What a pity, I hope they solve this in a further update, just allowing to decide if a pattern should be locked or not…

1 Like

Here’s a new set i recorded: