Digitakt - Direct Monitoring (Audio)

Just connected the midi cable with the volca …

Where are the midi out settings on the digitakt?

Connect DT midi out to Volca. Click the “gear” button and go to MIDI config menu, then Port Config. Make sure “Output to” is set to MIDI or MIDI+USB. Choose a MIDI track (bottom row, 9-16 aka A-H). On the SRC screen, you’ll notice all boxes have an X in them. To choose the MIDI channel hold FUNC and PUSH encoder A. Make sure you do not turn A while pushing. Can be a little fiddly and takes a couple tries. The X under MIDI channel should change to “1”. IIRC, the volca listens to CH 1 by default. Enable chromatic mode or enter some trigs and have fun!

1 Like

Cool totally did not find that gear button … I m master she is slaved.

Just as I like it

Thanks

3 Likes

What’s going on, I’m sure my Digitakt let through stereo sound when monitoring. But just jamming on it now and its not. Major bummer.
There goes my small device daisy chain idea!
Can anyone confirm it really won’t even let audio pass through as stereo??

confirmed it is. Stupid godamnded limitation. FFS.
Now i need to go buy a mixer for my 2 devices… woohoo elektron

5 Likes

Wow, even though the inputs are named left and right… such a bummer :disappointed:

Wonder if there will be any way via OB to monitor stereo through the DT?

My fantasy use is using the box as is, but sequencing/controlling stereo stuff in Ableton from the DT… but then, sucks if this stuff can’t be monitored then back through the DT…

A workaround I guess is mointoring through the headphone port on the laptop direct from Live, and the DT just comes in through there. But that 1/4" headphone port is so nice… I know its better than a laptop 3.5mm

Waiting for the OB update before I drop coin on one of these…

Hi Elektron people and congrats for this great Digitakt product.

I just bought the Digitakt and a Behringer Deepmind 12 synth.
I would like to use the Audio In ports L and R of the Digitakt to listen to the Deepmind without to use a mixer. I hear a very weak sound. No the real rich sound of the Deepmind.
What I’m doing wrong? Any help will be appreciated.
Regards from Belgium.

Hi Cercle, what you are hearing through the inputs of the Digitakt is either the left (EXT L) signal, the right signal (EXT R) or the summed signal (EXT L + R) of your Deepmind in MONO. Unfortunately it’s not possible to monitor in stereo, you will need to use a mixer for this purpose.

Oh ok. I understand. Then I have to spend some extra money in a mixer :frowning: Not funny.

Thank you very much for your fast reply.

1 Like

or wait a little to see if they update this in the future firmware?

Hi

Are the input of the digitakt really weak?

I know they are mono and i want to use them to listen 2 mono (not stereo) synthetiser with 2 mono unbalanced jack for live session.

Are they good enough for this or i have to use an external mixer?

Thanks.

Is there a way to use the Digitakt’s reverb and delay effects with my Mother 32 so I wouldn’t need to rely on my Eventide Space?

It is not a thru effect so currently there’s not a way to apply it to external sources.

Currently only if you sample it. Hopefully they pass on some of the Digitone’s features and you will be able to use pass through effects in the future, but who knows…

Ah, beat me to it.

I’ve not tried monitoring through DT yet, but I’m shocked it’s not stereo!!! Very irritating indeed. I primarily bought this to take on holiday with a synth / eurorack as a small setup and now I’ll need to take a flipping audio interface. Still love it though, but this kind of takes the biscuit!

I’m new to sampling but surely if you are only able to sample in mono then you want to also monitor in mono so you can hear how it’s gonna sound once sampled? Is the problem here not because people are trying to use the inputs for a different purpose other than to sample, which is what they were designed for right?

I have a question. If the DT only monitors and samples in mono, then why bother plugging in both L and R at all? Why not just plug the left channel, then you can have two synths plugged in at the same time?

2 Likes

You hit the nail on the head. There are a number of people who want to be able to use the digitakt inputs for things other than sampling. But then of course that’s not the intended purpose as you said.

As for utizing the l+r to sample, often I find with the digitakt I am sampling a stereo source and the digitakt sums stuff to mono automatically. Of course I like to do this cause sometime I want my source summed to mono. Hard to explain but I enjoy the way it sounds.

Another use for l+r inputs would be with volcas since they send that split mono signal.

The volcas are a good example, if they only output dual mono (like a fake stereo signal) then why bother using both the L+R inputs on the DT, might as well just sample one channel?