Digitakt 'Collect all and Save'

I am totally confused about how to backup the Digitakt, but sometimes its file system seems like its from the dark ages. I have Transfer v1.5 and the latest Digitakt 1.40 update.

1. A few weeks back, I thought I would drop two 450mb sample packs onto the Digitakt (and nearly filled it immediately without knowing). I got inspired and I wrote two projects, using samples from the two packs.

2. Now I want to save the projects with samples they relate to, in a folder on my Mac.

3. I want to delete these huge sample packs so I can start again.

I am in total fear that noting will ever match up again, the projects won’t be able to find the samples and I will have ruined any chance of returning to the projects.

Can anyone help me with a clear method in light of release of these new pieces of software? All I get is older posts (many before 2020) relating to older software versions.

Many thanks in advance.

The Transfer app, backups the full project to your mac (patterns, samples and all settings).
So you can use Transfer to copy the projects and after that you can delete the samples from the DT to free up the space.

Whenever you will put back the projects to the DT it will ask where to copy the samples (original position or a new project folder).
Nothing to worry. :slight_smile:

bye

5 Likes

So the DTPRJ file will contain everything? Thats well hidden in the manuals!

Yes, everything inside the file.
You can change the extension to .zip and what’s inside.

1 Like

I would agree, can’t see that it is explicitly stated anywhere.

maybe good to know: the digitakt doesn’t care where the sample is, or even its name(i think) since it identifies the samples using hashes.

1 Like

That’s my experience on the M:S … if you load the same sample twice under different file names, you end up with just one file (no extra space taken) with two different names.

1 Like

The issue here is folk look in the Digitakt manual for Answers when the Answers are actually in the Transfer manual, and the Answers ain’t buried as the manual is only 9 pages long including the index.

1 Like

Project files contains project data, and samples (if applicable).

It could be mentioned in the Digitakt manual as well. A small explainer on making a project backup and how to restore it.

I hope we can make a backup of the full machine state in the future like Novation allows for the Circuit. Making a full backup of a Digi now means manually making a backup of each project. Quite a task if you have a bunch of them.

Faster would be a complete machine backup. The backup file will max out a little over one gigabyte if the +Drive is completely full for a Digitakt and much smaller on machines without sample support.

Link to the Transfer manual:

Hi, I’d like to point out that, typically, samples recorded with the Digitakt and stored in the “recorded” folder aren’t automatically saved with the project. At least, that has been my experience.
To ensure that some of them are included in the project, you may need to utilize the “load to project” function in the sample menu before saving.

1 Like

Also there are circumstances like LFO -> Sample Slot, those won’t be saved. But I would just save all projects and then samples as well, and Digitakt should recognize those.