Digitakt as Midi interface?

Hi,

is there any way I can send midi notes from Ableton through my Digitakt to other Midi Instruments?

The routing would be like this:

Ableton over USB to digitakt -> midi cable to other instruments

I think the manual suggests Midi Thru only passes on what comes in via the MIDI Din IN, not from USB i’m afraid.

damn, thats what I was thinking. :frowning: could have been so easy

Yes, it is possible!

My Ableton Setting:

Input: Elektron Digitakt ON | ON | OFF
Output: Elektron Digitakt ON |OFF | OFF

You have to use MIDI A - G and set their Input Channel (w.r.t. Ableton)
Then you can set their Output channel

(I am not using overbridge)

2 Likes

I can confirm that this solution works! Thank you @mosbos!

It does with any DAW
Maschine & Reaper confirmed :slight_smile:
Good thing about Reaper is it lets you choose CC control messages independently of clock

I can hear a noise though a certain point, like a “kick” sound at the same rythm as the midi signal. Maybe I have something wrong in my setup.
I have ableton sending signal to DT and then from DT I have midi out to a volca fm.
With the headphones plugged on the DT I can hear this kick sound halfway the midi pattern I have recorded on ableton.

this probably will be because the midi channel you are sending on is set as the midi in channel for one of the tracks 1-8 in the Digitakt settings - so it triggers that channel too.

(sorry to OP - misunderstood the original question, as it means taking up a MIDI channel, so you’re not so much sending MIDI through as just triggering MIDI tracks to send more MIDI…)

e.g. as default MIDI channel 1 will trigger track 1 on the Digitakt.

Can you spell this out a bit more? I am currently trying to use Digitakt as my sound card and also would like to send MIDI from Ableton via the DT to outboard synths and record the audio output from the synths in Ableton.

Ah I think I got it! My MIDI tracks A-H were turned off under MIDI > Channels on the DT.

I did notice something interesting – I can only route MIDI from Ableton through the DT to my outboard synths using the DT’s MIDI OUT port, which I find quite counterintuitive. If I use the MIDI THRU port, my synths don’t “see” the MIDI from Ableton. I am not using the Overbridge plugin but have Overbridge enabled on the DT under System > USB Config. I am using a MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru splitter between the DT and my outboard gear.

I’d be curious to know what people’s settings/uses are for using Digi devices as an audio interface. For now, this seems to work for me, even if I don’t understand why certain settings are the way they are…