Digitakt as an audio interface

awesome that fixed it!

3 Likes

Quick question (that might sound dumb):
I was never (and still not) interested in OB for various reasons (stability, CPU strain, Reaper…) but since I am going to travel (wrong time I know…), I am going to take a DT, NDLR and laptop with me.
I would like to then use DT as audio interface.
How do I go on about it? OB has to be installed?
Thanks for any hints.
Much appreciated :slight_smile:

You have to install Overbridge on you laptop, this will install Elektron Engine and the drivers for the Digitakt, then just plug the usb cable on the DT and the engine will pop the DT up and running.
At this point you can either use the standalone application to see and change every parameters in the DT and start a recording of you main out + input L AND R (in stereo).
You can also run a DAW and choose the DT as your soundcard, this will unlock main out L and R, track 1 - 8, and input L and R. (be careful compressor and FX send are only available on main out)
Finally, you can run your DAW with another soundcard as main card, and add an “instrument track” with the VST Plugin of the DT. The plugin can output 8 audio track + main out + input L and R as if you use the DT as soundcard.

I think in your case you should select DT as soundcard into your DAW or just record directly from the standalone application and then load the WAV file into a DAW or audacity for quick mastering / export.

1 Like

Thank you so much @blaize
I kind of knew OB had to be involved (as a driver), therefore not interested…
Thanks again for clarifying, much appreciated.

I just discovered my Steinberg interface has only got one line input.

If I buy a mixer without USB, and plug my external synths (if I had one) and my guitars etc. Can I route the audio out (or aux) through my DT and record it in my DAW?

Or is this not the way?

1 Like

You can! You can use either Overbridge, or use the Digitakt as a regular USB audio interface. Just make sure to choose the correct option in the Digitakt’s USB settings. You’ll also have to turn up the Digitakt’s analog input levels in its master mixer page.

Works great!

1 Like

This thing is getting better and better.

Won’t it be a problem that my DT is also plugged in the mixer? (For my monitors)

You need to make sure you don’t get a feedback loop. You could end up sending the DT audio back into itself.

Which mixer do you have? If it has a separate stereo bus, like a stereo FX send, you could use that to route stuff to the DT.

Don’t have a mixer yet.
Planning on buying an old Sound Craft Spitir Folio. Or a Beheringer Xynyx 1202 for the time being.

would it be possible to do this with an ipad that has usb c input?

say use an old md player audio out into the DT and run the audio out trough usb to the ipad for recording longer backing tracks to ipad? I’ve got koala drambo and a few other recording apps i’d like to use?

Yes. The Digitakt and Digitone both work as USB audio interfaces for the USB-C iPads. Make sure you change it from Overbridge mode to Audio/MIDI in the USB setup page.

1 Like

Just need an update from elektron to separate left and right channel in two mono channel!!!

1 Like

Output or input? Digitone can do separate inputs. And both can do separate outs just by panning sounds

No way to split the external input into two mono input with the overbridge plugin

thanks for the response.

I’m sorry to keep asking simple questions but does this mean that the DT sums to mono or can i record stereo thru to ipad?

Stereo through to iPad.

1 Like

Thank You!!!

:blue_heart:

This is a must.