Digitakt and Live Piano Loop Inquiry

Greetings. First of all really appreciate any advice that comes. I’m a simple man with little knowledge outside of the Digitakt manual but have been completely consumed with learning everything possible about the Digiboxes.
Set up as follows: Digitakt, Digitone, Keystep.
DT Out > KS In / KS Out w Midi Thru > DN In / DN Thru > DT In
and a basic amp.
Here’s where things get tricky for me. Can I incorporate my piano into this DT/DN set up somehow? It just has one audio output which I put in DT’s Input, set the sample to INT L+ R. In theory, I can then play my piano over what’s coming through the DT live with resampling capabilities, having the DT as a sort of mixer (I have no audio interface, or a mixer, cause realistically just don’t know anything about them??) But the volume from the piano is drastically low compared to the DT. Could this be fixed with a better cable (just using reg aux with cable adapter like a sad poor man), or changing a setting I’m unaware of?

Again thanks so much.
Cheers.

2 Likes

I know nothing about a pianos electronics but You may need a preamp to bring up the volume level for the DTs inputs. Alternatively if you have an amp with a headphone jack you could plug the piano into it and use its headphone out to the DT.

For looping maybe a simple looper pedal would suffice like the Ditto.

2 Likes

Cable is just a cable, it either makes contact or if broken, it doesn’t, it will never effect the volume level.

The electrical piano/synth which will have loads of volume so either turn it up or change the levels on the DT I/P.

You wont have to buy anything else, but would advise for any muso orientated activities A MIXER would be first on the list.

Let us know how you get on.

Str.

1 Like

I think it can make a difference if it’s a TRRS cable. I ran into that before sending signal to a field recorder from a PO.

Hmm, you mean balanced vs unbalanced?

Line O/P from any synth (piano) should be at least 1Vp-p either way. There should be plenty of volume!

Thanks a ton! Works like a charm on my buddy’s amp (mine unfortunately does not have one). Piano Stereo O/P to DT Int L + R, DT Headphone Out to Amp In. I think it might be a volume putoff thing, but it only works that specific way. The piano’s max volume via Stereo to Dual Mono Cables just happens to be in perfect conjunction with DT’s Headphone Out. So a preamp or something of the sort indeed seems necessary should I ever need to further raise the volume. i.e. Piano playing noticeably louder.

Would a mixer solve above issue? Let’s say an all mono Dude mixer. Is that set up just piano and DT to mixer, mixer to amp? How to record what’s coming out of the mixer, into the DT. i.e. being able to fade from DT, into full piano, and sampling that whole process onto the DT

Oh, and could you perhaps expand on turning up DT’s I/P? Are you just referring to its general Level/Data knob, or can I turn up just what’s coming in? i.e. the piano dual mono cables to DT’s L + R I/P

Your time is very much appreciated, kind sir!

So many questions…

Yes, if you can make sure your piano (what is it BTW?) is turned up and turn down the sounds coming out of the DT (if you’re playing along whilst recording).

I Googled this issue and found a post on here;

‘Boosting input signal?’

So it appears to be an issue.

Yes do get a mixer, you’d sample to the DT by using a SEND.

For anything audio always use a mixer!

Regards

Stretchy.

1 Like