Digitakt and E drums

Hey everyone,
I’m learning to play drums and want to build something like this out of used parts:

the triggers are converted to midi for the digitakt using edrumin 4
https://www.audiofront.net/eDRUMin.php
I specifically want to use this module for its low profile and custom midi operations.

I want a snare drum that transmits the information the trigger module needs for drum head positioning and is low profile. looking for recomendations
Do I need a hi hat pad to go along with the pedal?
Does anyone have experience using the edrumin with Digitakt?

i’ll shoot my shot
Does anyone have these pieces lying around that they’d be willing to let go for these prices or less?

thanks ya’ll for the help
i plan on using it at home to practice and experiment with the digitakt.

4 Likes

Interesting. Bumping cause I want to know how well this works.

I’m sure you can use this to trigger samples on different tracks if the edrumin allows you to choose channels for each input, and if that’s the cause then velocity would also record. Not sure about how you’d route the rest? Anything more fancy than that would have to involve cc messages I’m guessing?

AFAIK there are only a few snare pads that actually transmit the location of the hit. There definitely is one from Roland that they refer to as “digital snare” but that one uses a proprietary USB connection to the module and costs more than your whole envisioned setup :sweat_smile: If you’re content with “head”, “rimshot” and “click” zones only, there are many options.

For hi-hat, using a fixed cymbal pad might feel better when playing.

1 Like

From what I understand, each trigger transmits 4 notes which can be configured in different ways. Each trigger input is a dual trigger using trs cables. So, excluding the pedal input, I should be able to trigger 8 different channels. They can send cc’s based on velocity, and pad position in some cases I think :thinking:

I’m brand new to this, so I don’t think going simpler would be bad

Ok I won’t worry about the pad position stuff for a while. Any snare type pad you’d recommend?

I’m not really up to date on all the available options, so there may be something better - but perhaps you can find a used Roland PDX-8. Having a mesh head as the snare makes it more comfortable to play than a rubber pad. I’ve played a kit with that pad on several occasions and to me it felt good (albeit a bit small if you’re used to acoustic drums like me).

I am wondering about velocity, though. A normal drum module uses different samples for when you hit a pad at different velocities. With the Digitakt you could perhaps make velocity (or some CC) control the sample slot, but I reckon this would be super tricky to implement correctly…
Velocity only affecting volume could sound a bit unnatural. On the other hand, you could get creative with the filter and FX to make it react in non-natural but creative ways.

1 Like

yeah i’m reading more of the manual, it looks like some single piezo pads can still be assigned different areas that trigger differently :slight_smile:
yes, it will definitely take time to configure, but it seems pretty flexible.
each trigger has HIT RS SS and POS (hit, ring, sleeve and position )
it looks like each trigger can send on one midi channel, 4 total. each trigger can send cc information for velocity and position

sorry for the jumbled info dump

the manual also has a break down of different pad types and the piezo configuration they use.

Use Sensory Percussion with any cheap drum…it can tell which part of the head you strike and you assign the triggers to do different things

I’ve never thought of connecting them to my digitakt but it should be possible

these are out of my price range…
I’m also just considering buying some piezos and slappin those on my cajon. a ticket to calibration hell for sure…

sure i figured some of the old sensors would pop up for sale since they’re releasing a new version

if you already have ableton & max 4 live you won’t need the official SP software

just one drum head and a sensor…but anyway i hope the piezo hack works well!

1 Like

Hey! I used to use my Digitakt to play drums, here’s a video here:

(Sorry for linking to my Youtube that I barely do anything with.)

I found the Digitakt to be pretty good. My only gripe is that since there are no Mute/Choke groups, it’s hard to get a realistic HiHat sound. You can have a hihat pad but it’ll have to be either open or closed hihat. If you want both, you’ll need something like a Roland PD-8 (They are really cheap s used online) where the trigger can be open hat and the head can be closed hat. But I seriously don’t recommend this for learning drums.

If you’re looking for a snare drum to get the job done, you can use Roland PD-8 (that I mentioned above).

If you want something with a little more “snare” feel. You can find a Pearl TPX-10N you can put a Roland RT-10S trigger on there and it’ll work wonderfully.

2 Likes