Digitakt and Digitone live workflow question

I’m currently without any gear. No DAW. No software. No anything (other than a bunch of guitars). I’ve been wanting to switch things up since I’ve been a guitarist/bassist for the past 40 years. Also, I don’t want to sit in front of a computer since I’ve been doing that in various jobs for about the same amount of time. I don’t mind tweeking things, or loading sets etc. but don’t want to haul a computer around everywhere.

SO, this is what I’m thinking. Trying to keep everything under $2k, so that means the Digitakt and Digitone with a MIDI keyboard controller. What I’d like to do is this: get a beat on the Digitakt along with a bass line (maybe), then put some chords on the Digitone to loop. Then play a lead over the top of that with the Digitone. I’ve heard iffy things in terms of “looping” with these two, but is that doable? That’s just one scenario. Or maybe re-creating the main title theme from Escape from New York by John Carpenter with these two. Is that overkill? Doable at all? Not enough equipment.

I know these are all noob questions, but I’d like to get into this…and get equipment that I’m not going to outgrow or find limiting after 3 months without having to buy something else.

Perfectly doable. I use DT as master which can send pattern change to the DN (and other gear). Will take some getting used to, but this combination is perfect IMHO

3 Likes

…sure that’s doable…

but if u go for a used ot mk1, u’d probably do even better…that’s the official no computer needed for real machine…and u get a used ot for pretty much what a new dtakt would cost u…add the dtone later…

1 Like

DT plus Tone is very powerful. When you hook them up via midi as well, you can do some
extra crazy modulation with the use of the midi tracks :slight_smile:

1 Like