Digitakt 1.04 : Bug reports

This is stuff that can only be interpreted by Elektron. Their support team will ask for the information if necessary. I hope that things get sorted out for you.

Overall, I think this is a great piece of gear and Iā€™m adapting to the workflow nicely. I usually have no patience for issues like this, but am willing to give this company a chance while they sort out issues.

Exactly my problemā€¦ I sent a support ticket explaining my problem and they basically said it was user error and assumed I dont know how to use midiā€¦ very nonchalant and arrogant attitudeā€¦
Now I am waiting and hoping this gets fixed.

1 Like

Iā€™ve also had it for over a month and it never had any problems (running on 1.04 like a charm)ā€¦
Until yesterday: It now freezes when I power it up (during the logo fading sequence).
I tried to reset it but even this doesnā€™t workā€¦
I sent a ticket yesterday and still no response (I guess thatā€™s totally normal)
If you know anything about this let me know!

thanks

1 Like

I used midi just once and it was like three weeks ago and now thereā€™s now way I can access any settings and change whatsoever

Ok I had a crazy weird glitch.
Pattern just stopped emitting sound.
Was working on pattern 5, switched to pattern 4, back to pattern 5 a few bars later and nothingā€¦ no sound.
Samples there still, unmuted all pattern mutes, switched back to pattern 4 and sound was back, switched back to pattern 5 and nothing again. Trig lights flashing, everything looked great but no sound.
Kinda freaked out a bit and switched it off, waited 30sec and booted back on and hit play and pattern 5 played as usualā€¦ disconcerting to say the least

Another update from my ticket about the midi freeze issues, looks like they are working on a fix, at least it has been acknowledged.

"There are a few known bugs that cause crashes with MIDI. One that is more common than the others is when you have external sync and edit the MIDI tracks.

We are currently working on an update to improve stability and quite a few identified issues will be solved for that update."

1 Like

Mine crashes all of the time nowā€”midi or no midi connected. Elektronā€™s response was vague and not helpful, and left me wondering what to expect. So now hopefully I can return it for something else in its place. This sucks, because I really want to like the Digitakt and Elektron. I waited for this on back order for months instead of going with something else.

Elektron should have focused on releasing this as a solid piece of working gear before new versions of the OT and A4. Iā€™m guessing that they donā€™t have engineer resources for all of these products coming out in a short time.

Too bad!

I understand what you are saying, but this is a self-contained unit running a proprietary OS. My issue isnā€™t even a result of issues from configuring with third-party gear or software. It crashes using factory samples, running stand-alone.

Elektron support didnā€™t recommend anything for me to try, as you are mentioning, which leads me to believe their support isnā€™t the best.

Which thing that you mention will not wipe out my saved projects? From what I understand, there are no backup options.

Thank you for your input.

1 Like

My point about this being a self-contained unit is that it isnā€™t affected from things like various inner peripheral drivers (like a PC), or different applications running on it, etc. I see other people in here saying that theirs worked fine, and then all of a sudden it started crashing for no reason. Mine came to me with 1.04 on it already, so it didnā€™t start happening after an update in my case. So what impacted this behavior since it doesnā€™t get automatic daily updates (like an iPad)? So before I rush and reset it, I want to hear what the manufacturer has to say. If itā€™s going to be a long wait for them to work it out, Iā€™d like to look at other gear options.

Finally got my DT to crash repeatedly - possibly caused by MIDI feedback loop. I run the DT into a MOTU Micro Express, from there it is routed to all external synths. My controller (a Prophet 6) is routed into the DT, but also needs to receive MIDI from DT. So I have to turn ā€œLocal Control OFFā€ on the P6 when tracking MIDI for it, otherwise I get a feedback loop and usually a freeze. The problem with that is the DT doesnā€™t seem to pass through NRPN or CC, so all I get is keyboard, nothing else is passed through the DT back into the P6.

The MIDI sequencer is really cool but leaves a A LOT to be desired. I know the DT is a drum computer and sampler first and foremost, but the MIDI track implementation is half-baked. There should be a way to export MIDI tracks as ā€œsoundsā€ also, so I donā€™t have to remap my CCā€™s for every synth or be copying tracks between patterns just to get the instrument setup.

And please, bring back the option of having DT send MIDI Clock but not MMC! Every time I hit ā€œPlayā€ on DT, all my sequencers start going. I donā€™t always want that. I think I can filter out MMC from my MOTU patch bay but not sure.

1 Like

Not sure I understand. So I can save MIDI tracks as individual ā€œsoundsā€? My badā€¦

ahh I see, I can save a kit of midi instruments, but that isnā€™t what iā€™m looking for. it is helpful though. but if i load a kit into a pattern, it will replace all my tracks. I just want to be able to save ā€œinstrumentsā€ so-to-speak

Lock Trigs doesnā€™t seem to work properly on looped audio on my unit - they cut away previous note, sometimes (when automating filter for instance) they produce note-trig under the automation (using default trigger pitch) etc. - I like to work with waveforms but there is no way to record automation properly this way - I can reproduce this issue everytime, some other Digitakt users also report it in other topics as well- is it supposed to be this way?

Found a bug where I copy the trigs of a track to another track, then temp safe pattern. Then when I hit reload pattern, all plocks on that track are gone. Really strange. Anybody else experienced this?

Edit: also found a fix for now. It happens when you have a sample slot p locked and copy the trigs of the track to another pattern for instance. When this bug appears, simply re-assign one of the p locked sample slots and it wonā€™t happen anymore.
Strangeā€¦

1 Like

Excerpts from Elektron support related to my issue. This is what I found out and is most-likely why I am getting crashes. I use FUNC+Save Proj as I work, and pretty much do it without thinking about it.

There is currently an issue with the quick save (FUNC+Save Proj) in which the machine can freeze like this. (We are working on fixing this bug - luckily, the Project will save successfully even though it freezes, but regardless we are of course fixing it). To avoid it, save by pressing the Settings (cog wheel) button, and select Project - save project from there.

Hope this helps someone here!

5 Likes

this is the bug i run into most often on my digitakt. Iā€™ve noticed if i stop play before initiating project quicksave it tends not to freeze. Thanks for posting the feedback you received from elektron.

2 Likes

Thats odd I thought the project save bug had gone, it used to happen most of the time but after 1.04 not once for me, plenty of saving whilst playing too.
Edit, shouldnt be linked to Stemshade.

Iā€™ve only run on 1.04. Unit was received on 1.03 but I upgraded before I used it. First project I saved on the machine froze it. Itā€™s happened a handful of times since.

1 Like

Have you tried creating a new project after updating to 1.04 and then quick save? Seems like older projects saved under 1.03 bring some baggage.