DigiChain - web app for making sample chains

Currently Digichain has been processing for about 60 minutes to make 52 chains out of 3326 one-shot samples as I requested it to resample the chains back to the list using the shift+chain button. Maybe I need to start over but hoping not to. Any suggestions on that?

Thatā€™s quite a bit above the 750 safety limit!

Resampling back to the list means itā€™s going to need twice the memory to store the audio buffers.

Iā€™d recommend not resampling if processing that much, and just get the chains out in a zip file.

And if youā€™re using Safari, that number of files is likely to cause problems as Apple limits how much of the systems memory a page can use by a greater degree than Chrome/Edge.

As an aside, I think I need to add a setting to remove the processed files from the list to help with memory pressure on large jobs.

Also, try pressing the Escape key to clear away the processing message, it might be out of memory, but still have where it got to on the resamples at the top of the list.

Ok. Will do.

Ok, now Iā€™m just rude and see why that other guy said there ought to be an ocean between us BUT, regardless, one more last question swear to God - after randomizing with shift+reset-sort is there an easy way to randomize again or several times. I find it only works once.

Btw, How can I compensate you for your work.

Hmm, that should randomize each time, as the way it works, is each file gets a cryptographically random ID on each sort pass, to ensure they change position in the list.

What browser are you using? And are you using the keyboard Shift key, or the onscreen Shift button - as the onscreen button needs toggling with each use (the onscreen Shift issue is a bug Iā€™m aware of and looking to fix at some point!).

Compensation not necessary, this is my fun side-project - Iā€™m just happy others have also found it useful.

2 Likes

Ridiculous generosity on your behalf. Youā€™re like those megacommand developers. I owe them something too.

Iā€™m on Microsoft edge and using the onscreen shift

3 Likes

If youā€™re on a desktop/laptop, Iā€™d recommend using the keyboard shift/ctrl keys over the onscreen ones - I only put the onscreen ones in so that tablet/phone users could have access to some of the shortcuts.

Thereā€™s also a setting in the settings panel to turn off the onscreen keys.

Now, because of you, I have almost 5000 oneshot samples laying around randomly in chains inside my OT like a bunch of strange instruments strewn about my house waiting to be played. What a mess, and I love it. Thank you so much.

1 Like

That wasnā€™t meant personally. It was more of a general comment.

1 Like

I also did not mean to make it personal and also, I was not offended by it. However I did not know what you meant by it. I receive so much generosity from people on this forum that I donā€™t know how to thank them but to be a bit chatty and try to be funny. It doesnā€™t always work out. Please, No worries at all on that. I love all interaction here. Peace, bro.

1 Like

Just to say that Digichain is PO-33 new best friend. Thank you!

3 Likes

Updated to 1.4.5

• Improved the note from filename detection and sorting.
  • 44.1/48K 8bit mono/stereo file exports.
  • Crush selected actions action to add some crush/distortion to the sample.
  • Pitch up/down in cents in sample editor panel. (click the ā€˜Pitch (semi-tones)ā€™ link to toggle between semi-tones and cents.)
  • Squashed a few bugs in output file rendering, and UI scaling.

3 Likes

Working on some basic slice editing/creation on the sample editor panel

Also Iā€™ve got a Teensy 4.1 coming in the mail tomorrow, so hopefully will give the headless M8 a go and see how it deals with slices, from what Iā€™ve read, pretty sure it recognizes wav cue points in a cue chunk in the files, if thatā€™s the case, Iā€™ll be adding those to the exported wav headers DigiChain generates.

Almost done tweaking and testing the one-button conversion between normal sample chains and spaced chains too, so you donā€™t need to slice out and then rejoin chains from the OT/DT.

This also makes the double-click to activate/deactivate a slice in the slice panel more useful, as deactivated slices are excluded from the newly created chain, makes removing slices from a chain easier.

e.g. deselect three slices from this chain, and use the ā€˜new chainā€™ button to output a new chain with only the selected samples in it.

If outputting a new spaced-chain, if the grid-size is set to a value other than OFF, the new chain will still be padded to the length.

These changes arenā€™t live yet though, want to get the M8 slice export/import working before I push out a release :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Thatā€™s right. M8 reads up to 128 cue points/slice markers

1 Like

Almost done with embedding cue points, and have tested on my recently acquired headless, reading the slices created by the M8 and the M8 reading slice markers created by DigiChain is working well!

I just need to do a round of regression testing with all the supported formats and devices, to make sure the modified wav structure is still good on DT/OT etc.

This will be great for taking my OT chains, running them through DigiChain to convert the .ot slices into cue points the M8 can read. And the new ā€˜New Chainā€™ can convert my DT chains over to regular chains which will also have the cue markers embedded.

The plan will be to have this on by default, but with an option to turn off cue marker embedding in the settings.

9 Likes

wow i just came here to do a feature request regarding cue poiints because i also recently acquired m8 headless (and already put a preorder for the actual unit). WOW! what a coinncidence hahah, youā€™re 1 step ahead of me at all times!

1 Like

Haha! Thanks! I have just been testing exports on my DT and OT, things are looking good, just a few code cleanups to make before I push out an update :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve got a few things to sell before I put an order in, having the headless is nice while pre-orders get filled - reminds me of the days where youā€™d play the shareware version while waiting for the mail to arrive with your full version.

2 Likes

v1.4.6

• Convert chains between evenly spaced and unspaced chains from the slice panel. Works with DC, Octatrack, and OP-x slice data. When converted to a spaced chain, if the grid-size is set to a value, the new chain will be padded to this number.
  • Ctrl+Click to preview slices before slicing a sample.
  • Slice editing on sample edit panel, create/update/remove slice markers.
  • Playback/looped playback on the sample edit panel follows the selected region on the waveform.
  • Show stereo waveform if available on sample edit panel.
  • Update the row waveform when changing the mono rendering method.
  • Moved around the edit panel UI.
  • Added LRSD controls to the edit panel.
  • Remembering slice position/selection when changing options on edit panel.
  • Edit panel LRSD / play/stop keyboard shortcuts on edit panel.
  • Allow generating .ot metadata file on 16/24 44.1 mono exports.
  • Option in settings to match the end sample with the start sample (if possible), to help reduce clicks for samples that will be played looped. (can result in shorter than specified samples).
  • Read/write wav file cue point markers into DigiChain slice data (adds compatibility for DirtyWave M8 to read chains, and to import the slices from M8 to DigiChain).
  • Added basic sample stretching (which does affect pitch), stretch selected samples to shortest or longest sample in the list, or hold shift to set a custom length in seconds. (this will remove any slice data for the modified samples).

Embedding cue points in the wav files is on by default, match end with start sample is off by default, as this setting can result in truncated batches having different lengths.

https://digichain.brianbar.net/

15 Likes

Good Saint Brian!

Thanks for all you do!

10 Likes

Experimenting with loading the samples out of Digitakt project files that come out of the Transfer app. (also will allow zip file dropping, with some caveats).

https://digichain.brianbar.net/latest/

https://digichain.brianbar.net/latest/changelog.md

8 Likes