DigiChain - web app for making sample chains

This looks great. Will check it out today. Is there any scope for an option to pitch everything up an octave? I can see our plus drives filling up pretty quickly with all these loops and chains so the option to save a little memory would be very useful.

4 Likes

Having the slice grid set to Off already allows chaining as many samples as are selected in the list into one file.

I like this idea.

I have samples normalization on my todo list, I will look at trim-right also.

Slicing on import is something I’m looking into for importing files that have an accompanying meta file, e.g. .ot file or tape.json for OP-1 Field.

Highly unlikely I’ll be implementing timestretch, and if I did, it would be a rough and efficient algorithm like what the DT uses for werp.

1 Like

This one is going on the list to investigate, thanks!

5 Likes

thanks for the response brian! And I didn’t realise I could switch the grid to off already :grinning:

even without timestretch, setting slice points and then auto nudging loop slice starts to grid with gaps or truncates at the end would be useful too.

1 Like

And shift+click ‘off’ will turn off the grid, but retain the samples selected in the list.

I had the same question as @emadb so can I see if I’ve got this straight ?

You’d want to create sample chains if:

• you want to exploit some slicing feature of a sampler, such as the new machine on the digitakt (or similar on 1010 blackbox and probably many others)
  • you are running up against hardware limits of the number of samples you can use.

Does that sum it all up ?

1 Like

Very cool! Feature suggestion:
Option to pitch everything up by a specified number of octaves before exporting. This way we can save on memory and just down pitch within DT

2 Likes

Even though I know this is also for your own use, thank you again for using your limited personal time to invest so much finger flex and number crunch on implementing changes with such a rapid rate of progress for something everyone is able to use for free. Even listening to suggestions, it is beyond humanitarian.

8 Likes

You’re welcome! I’ve got some good feature ideas from here that I probably wouldn’t have thought of isolation, and hopefully people won’t be too disappointed if their feature doesn’t get implemented.

I also have no idea if anyone else is actually using it, as there’s no user tracking or anything in it, and GitHub doesn’t show insights for github pages access, only the code repository access.
I did have to move the app being served from GitHub pages over to Cloudflare, which does offer some basic geo-location/OS/browser info.

2 Likes

just look at elk herd. someone makes something useful and tells people it’s free, they use it. this has only been live for a few days and you’re already future proofing it. it’s an investment in the future of the digitakt and you seem to be implementing changes so other sampler based instruments can use it also so I don’t think you will have to worry about it getting used :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I haven’t used it yet, but I certainly plan to! You could put a “heart” button in the UI that notifies you in some way that doesn’t leak user information and doesn’t bother you too much.

1 Like

Or “buy me a coffee”.

1 Like

The minute you start taking money for things it turns into an obligation. the man is doing this for himself. if he wants some coffee, he’ll let you know.

5 Likes

That’s a cool idea, I think I’ll just put some links to my website and the github repo in about dialog that shows when you click the (i) icon next to the DigiChain text at the bottom right of the screen.

I don’t want to add any form of user tracking tbh, and I don’t want anyone to pay or feel like they have to with KoFi links or what not. Once I’ve got something of value up on my gumroad, I might throw a link to that in the about section too.

3 Likes

Exactly this! It’s free and opensource, people are welcome to take my currently ugly code and make their own improvements or custom version, so long as they follow the GPL license.

I didn’t use a JavaScript library, as I want it to continue working with minimal effort once I get it to where I want it feature wise.

It’s working well on iPad and Android but I need to figure out a good way for touch users to do the Shift+/Ctrl+ keyboard shortcuts.

3 Likes

I don’t know anything about coding but there are games that react to the accelerometer(s). you could do something where tilt past a certain degree angle twice within x time lapse enacts a shortcut, but that sounds like a lot of headache to me. just saying, there are ways. maybe make physical shift cntrl buttons on the interface? could they react in such a way if they’re part of the html as buttons?

1 Like

Yeah, I’m leaning towards showing two buttons for mobile devices to simulate a press of the ctrl or shift keys. If I put all the secondary shortcuts as their own buttons the UI is going to get super crowded.

I want it to stay as minimal as I can, so casual users can just dump a bunch of files in, choose the grid size and get a bunch of files out without getting confused with all the options available under the hood.

1 Like

Simple sells, or in this case, gets used with greater frequency. I think that doing street fighter combos is a bit excessive, but people can probably handle a dedicated 2 buttons with a visual reminder of what they are used for.

1 Like

this is amazing, thanks so much for sharing.!

2 Likes

Cant wait to try this out. Just picked up a DT to go with my ST and am amazed with how versitile this thing is. DigiChain seems like it will allow another way to use the DT.

2 Likes