DigiChain - web app for making sample chains

Thanks, that makes more sense. I assume as long as you’re recording something with quantization on latency doesn’t have any impact on the sequencer data. Appreciate you taking the time to answer questions.

1 Like

v1.0.1 live with the following bugfixes:

• Sorting error on length sort.
  • Re-order button glitching.
  • Shift+Up/Down, Shift+Duplicate error.
  • Waveform display on Android.
  • Show version number on bottom of screen.
  • Shift-click on waveform will loop the files playback (de-select will stop loop, click will go back to one-shot, Off in slice grid will stop all sample playback).
  • Added support for 128 slices (e.g. for wavetables or Model:Samples use on start point).
  • Cleaned up UI for mobile, moved around buttons to make use of the space better.

Also, tested importing and saving out chains on Android 13 and iPadOS 16.

https://digichain.brianbar.net/

10 Likes

My god this is so cool, ty for sharing!!

1 Like

Thanks, and you’re welcome! I hope it’s useful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bravo, love the look and the functionality is superb. Do you have somewhere we can tip you for your hard work?

1 Like

Thanks! I have no plans to charge for this, the hosting is free on GitHub, and it’s a tool that I want to use personally :smiley:

If anyone wants to, then maybe pick up some music on Bandcamp or sample packs? I plan to add more to my Gumroad and put out some music for the first time in a while this year (this is my year of getting out of a rut {and off my ass} watching TV after work and getting productive).

But that is completely not an expectation, I will continue to update this and add stuff to get it to what I want it to be.

I’m currently working on the bug where if you have more samples than the slice-count selected that the output file is too many samples, the next update will fix that and auto-generate multiple files at the slice-count length. issue resolved.

4 Likes

v1.0.2 is live, changes in this version:

• When a slice grid length is selected, samples will now be auto-generated, (e.g. if you have 13 samples selected and a grid of 4, you will get 4 files downloaded instead of one chain of 13 samples [which isn’t ideal for the Digitakt!]).
  • Shift-click the slice-grid numbers to change the grid size, but retain the selected samples.
  • Added loading message while loading in files.
  • Added sort-by selected.
  • Changed button text, added joined file counts that will be produced, and a number of files that will be downloaded if downloading all.
  • More tweaks for mobile device use.
  • Fixed an issue where a looping sample would keep playing after removal.

If you’re not getting the number of files you expected for download - please double-check that the browser isn’t blocking multiple downloads.

https://digichain.brianbar.net/

5 Likes

Sorry for the silly question, I’m a newby on this technique: what is the use case?
You join a bunch of samples in a single file, how do you use it in the DT?
Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you! I think I will give it a try!

1 Like

The latest OS 1.5 gives the option to choose a “machine” per track in case you missed that. One of the machines is “slice mode”.
Loading 1 sample with different samples evenly spaced gives the possibility to make a:
-Pseudo drum kit
-play a per note sampled acoustic instrument more accurate sound wise
-put 64 bliebs and pops into one file to get crazy with sequencing
-basically expand the amount of sample slots
-put a closed and open highhat in a chain to get pseudo choke groups.

• chain a percussion or chord sample with a lot of tiny (or massive) changes. Lfo the slicenumber randomly and put in some trigs.
  • and more
6 Likes

Testing out stereo chain exports this afternoon…

4 Likes

v 1.1.0 is live - https://digichain.brianbar.net/

Changes:

• Support for outputting stereo files.
  • Support for 24 bit file exports.
  • Now supports drag-drop sample importing.
  • Add Shift+click function to set the stereo->mono method for all selected stereo samples in the list.
  • Fixed an issue where setting a custom slice grid value did not persist.
  • Allows custom slice values to be set with the Ctrl+Click keyboard shortcut.

Export options beyond 48k/16bit - this setting is per session, changing will remove all entries from the list.

Keyboard Shortcuts

Shift + Click

• Waveform View : plays the sample looped, click again to go back to one-shot.
  • Slice Grid Number & Off Buttons : changes the slice grid size, but keeps the selected samples in the list.
  • Duplicate Icon : puts the duplicated file at the end of the sample list.
  • Move Up Icon : moves directly to the top of the sample list.
  • Move Down Icon : moved directly to the end of the sample list.
  • L S R Options : sets all stereo samples method for mono conversion (take left, right, or sum to mono).

Ctrl + Click

• Slice Grid Number Buttons : Prompts to enter a custom value for the slice grid.
  • Slice Grid Off Button : Restores the default slice grid options.
11 Likes

sorry for silly question but does the conversion leave the original samples as is, or are the originals converted?

Everything is loaded into a 32bit float audio buffer at the sessions sample rate - so if you are putting in stereo and exporting stereo, and at the same sample rate and bit depth as the source, the only data that is potentially different than the input is the wav RIFF header block of the output file.

When the output needs to change, then some math needs to happen, its uncompressed audio in and uncompressed audio out. If audio is being chained, then zero padding is added to the shorted sample data, and the header is very different as it needs to have the aggregated info for the sample data in the chain. And every byte will change when sample rate and/or bit depth of the input differ from the output.

Audio data is significantly modified when importing the MachineDrum sysex SDS dumps as that stuff was weird.

Edit: The input files on your file system remain as is, only newly created files come out, but you could choose to overwrite them in the save file dialog.

4 Likes

I think @captain8 was meaning, will the original samples remain useable, in their original format/ is your process one that duplicates the originals first before, performing the necessary?

1 Like

Such as useful app, thanks for creating & sharing.
The ability to drag & drop to reorder the samples would be a useful feature.

2 Likes

How about as a feature

• chain as many samples as you like
  • optionally subject to a max chain time in seconds
  • append each successive sample once an adjustable level of silence in the tail is reached (0 = absolute silence … 5 = barely there audio etc))

This would mean useful for op1 users

1 Like

Ah got it! The input files on your file system remain as is, only newly created files come out - you could choose to overwrite the original on the save file dialog, but that’s a user’s decision.

1 Like

And another feature suggestion

• load a drum loop
  • detect transients (or manually move slice points)
  • snap to grid:
    • timestretch/warp to fit fixed grid - or -
    • just leave gaps/truncate so as desired slice points are shifted to snap to the grid
1 Like

This looks great. Will check it out today. Is there any scope for an option to pitch everything up an octave? I can see our plus drives filling up pretty quickly with all these loops and chains so the option to save a little memory would be very useful.

4 Likes