Digi+Octa combo?

I currently have a Digitakt and a Digitone, and I’m seriously considering investing in an Octatrack. Basically I wanted to know if it was worth it. I’ve seen a lot of people say that the Digitakt is pretty much an Octatrack without all the features. How much am I missing in not having an Octatrack? What would gain in my workflow by having it. I also have Ableton Live 10 suite with a Push 2, I’m not all about escaping the computer, I like the workflow of both. I know overbridge would pretty much give me everything I’m looking for in the Digitakt and Digitone as far as a DAW standpoint. Basically what I’m asking should I just stick with my Digitakt and Digitone and wait for overbridge, or should I just say screw it and go all in with the Octatrack?

1 Like

Well, it depends what you want to do and how you workflow(s) look like exactly. The OT is great for realtime looping and performing live.

But since you have a Push 2 and don’t want to “escape” from the computer completely I would say you don’t miss out much.

3 Likes

How many hours have you put on both Digi boxes?

2 Likes

Hmm. Well I have both. One thing you are missing is the steep learning curve… But, once you figure it out, your options are pretty much unlimited. There is so much that is different that this thread might get pretty long. I like both. OT wins…

1 Like

There is also this review, that could help you.

3 Likes

And since this kind of question comes up a lot, here is just an entry point link (contains other links to follow, too):

3 Likes

I’m currently rocking an OT and a digitone, and I’m after a digitakt, If that gives you any indication…

2 Likes

The Octatrack would benefit you with better slicing ability, precise performance controls, dynamic FX processor. Plenty of LFOs(So many LFOs) .

The Digitakt is better for melodic sample playing(those extra two octaves are an enormous advantage).

I’ve been thinking about switching up my setup to a Digitakt Octatrack combo again(but I’ll probably go with a Native Instruments setup with a Digitakt kicker)

2 Likes

You on that trek-01 too?

No, I’m holding out for the next Komplete upgrade- also, I’m afraid about CPU usage(I always feel broke in regards to CPU. Doesn’t matter if I have ten tracks that total up to 20% usage, if there’s an item that consumes 50% of my horsepower, I don’t currently use it.)(I’m trying to take baby steps by playing with stuff, and then sample/freeze the tracks- but it doesn’t feel right.)

My aim is to get a mk2 Komplete Kontrol and Traktor down the line, though(possibly maschine if they integrate it into the Traktor workflow)

1 Like

Does the octatrack sync well with the digi’s? I either want to add it with both or just keep the digitakt+digitone and pass on the octatrack. I haven’t seen any quality videos with this trio, but I love the immediate workflow of those 2. Just wondering if it’s a waste of money, or will it just be a ultimate setup?

Yes the sync is solid. No worries.

2 Likes

I have The digitakt. Before it i own an analog rhytm.
Now i want an Octatrack for my live performance.
Its an amazing machine less limited thon the digitakt.

I have the Digitakt and I’m really considering the OT. The things you can do with the OT seem incredible.

1 Like

I’ve been dreaming of that exact set up for my studo/live set up. DT for drums/percussion/one-shots, OT for mixing/fx, playing stems/live loops, and adding mangled sample based sounds, then DN for my main synth tracks. Would be powerful, compact and endlessly inspiring.
Been thinking about selling/trading my A4MK2 to fund the OTMK2 purchase.

I have both as I said before. The sync is perfect. Never had a problem. Best part about the OT is the audio thru option. I end up using it as a mixer even when I’m using other gear. With neighbor tracks, you could have potentially 8 effects on each of your other pieces of gear (8 for the DT, 8 for the DN). Both stereo input. Or, after figuring it out, you could live sample both and manipulate the samples live. Live, I use the input of my thru track to cue whats going on in the DT or vis versa. The other thing that really seals the deal with the OT for me is the doubling and halfing of speeds of a track…so I can make longer sequences without using trig conditions. Those are just my most valued ways of the OT…oh and one more- Effects per track. That makes everything more clear. Of course if OB does arrive and it works perfectly without any latency…well that would be a miracle. Until then.

3 Likes

Midi capabilities- Octatrack has different scaling capabilities AND midi arp that can work as midi retrig.

Digitakt- P-Lockable Program Change Mode. Using both and you’ll be unstoppable.

(Darn it- I think I’m selling myself an Octatrack again…)

3 Likes

This is good to hear. I’m fairly new to Elektron (only have an Octatrack at the moment, no other gear except a mixer) and was a little apprehensive about the sync between the OT and the Digitone. I don’t plan to use the OT’s MIDI sequencer anytime soon and need a good sync between those two w/o much hassle. …Anyway, if the sync is good I’m definitely picking up a Digitone for FM sounds next month or two. :thup:

1 Like

Good to know! :+1:

same here
Digitone + OT and zero issues with MIDI synchronization.

3 Likes