Digi Boxes LFOs Uses/Behaviors

Digi LFO behaviors

I learned from @sezare56 today the best way to use the LFO as a parameter offset (0-speed square or saw). I’d also recently been working on sound design on the FM/Tone engine on Syntakt, where the envelope and audio-rate behaviors of the LFOs can add extra envelopes and even operators to the sound.

I haven’t seen a full list of the different commonly used LFO behaviors on the Digi format boxes here, and now I’m wondering what others I’m missing.

Events and envelopes:

• Timed on-off event: 1/2-cycle Square, speed 64 x BPM division of bar. (8th note = 8x 64)
  • Timed parameter fade: 1/2-cycle ramp, speed 64 x division of bar. 1x16 = 4 bars, 1x1 = 64 bars
  • Parameter Offset:1/2-cycle square (or saw at desired phase) at 0 speed
  • Envelope: Half-cycle sine or triangle, exp, or any wave with fade-out.
  • More Envelope shapes: LFO2 half cycle (or however) to LFO1 speed or depth.

Randomization:

• Hold random (sample and hold): random wave set to hold step. Random is faster than other waves when free running.
  • Quantized random, for random notes or sample slices? This is possible on some synths where one lfo can multiply the depth of another, but here (where lfo2 offsets lfo1 depth) it appears not to be possible. An LFO to TUNE via MIDI loopback will yield random semitones (values quantized to 1.00 on midi input) within limits set by depth, but that’s as close as I can think of.

Sound Design:

• Transient: Single-cycle Exp (to pitch, bit rate reduction, e.g.)
  • Noise transient: 2k multiplier random (to tune, filter freq, etc) with fast fade out
  • Noise mod: 2k multiplier random wave at desired depth.
  • FM Modulator: 1-2k sine wave, speed can tune it to a harmonious ratio (p-lock per note).

Also:

• Timed Sample Traversal on Digitakt: Saw wave timed to start points (the rightly famous time-stretch trick).
  • Short sequence/arp: 3 step up-down arp: 2 squares at 64 offset from each other, LFO2 to LFO1 depth. Other patterns are possible with different depths, speeds, and phases.

Do others have better ways to do these, or other ways they use these LFOs?

11 Likes

For me it seems too technical and takes out the fun.
I know, this doesn’t answer your question so feel free to just ignore this.

1 Like

All these lfo settings modulated my brain. :upside_down_face:

At 0 speed, Modes can be Trig, One, Half.
Speed 0 also allows to freeze the lfo if plocked.
With these offset, the Fade In/out parameter can be used as an envelope.

It is possible to modulate LFO1 Depth randomly with a Hold / Random LFO2.
Different Depth for each trigger, but starting for 0 if needed (Sine, Mode Trig, One, Half for LFO1).

I also like to record Multiply in Live Rec or with Plocks, then use Prob for yellow Trigs. Free mode. This vary speed randomly, with a certain control…

Fm Square is interesting for metallic sounds. I used it for cymbals with OT, DN and A4. With Digitone :

4 Likes

Nice, thanks! I’d been using noise-rate modulation on the Syntakt’s Alloy hats, and just tried the square wave FM, which adds a nice extra dimension.

1 Like

Good Thread!

I love using the lfo as a automation lane. For example:
on the TRIG page: LFO off on all triggers, LFO on on a trigless trig at the beginning of the sequence, with cond set to 1st.
Shape: Ramp ; Mode: Half ; Speed to taste, super slow works best.

Obvious Destinations are LPF cutoff or Amp Level.

This will fade in a sound slowly after you start a pattern

4 Likes

I have always been interested in how to tune the LFO to chromatic notes when running at audio rate.
I’m sure the math is quite easy, I’m no math guy tho :smiley:

1 Like

Just checked the DN manual (I don’t own one), surprised to read that its LFOs don’t have a keytracked mode (like the A4 has). Seems an odd omission the the digi boxes.

On my DT it can be interesting to set the fast LFO rate by ear for tuning, getting it pretty much note perfect then ‘detune’ slightly with the rate for that cool pulsing effect.

3 Likes

By ear is the easiest imho.
Otherwise lfo tuning depends on tempo, except for A4 fork mode.
103.125 bpm correspond to A tuning for instance.
Speed 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 correspond to tempo root note.
Speed 3, 6, 12, 24, 48 correspond to a 5th.
Maybe possible to make an approximative chromatic scale between 32 and 64…
I found these values :

3 Likes

nice, thank you.
I also prefer to do stuff by ear, but sometimes for science lab studio days, doing it this way is cool too

This is great!

To add two data points: the second group of LFO multiples (the ones after BPM 2K) are synced to 120 bpm regardless of the pattern tempo, which makes them better for this.

On SY BITS set to sine wave and no noise, the highest spot the LFO is in tune with C5 at 2K mult x 62.50 speed, with varying results based on LFO depth. My math tells me it should be somewhere around C6 there (2048*120 bpm/4beats/60seconds= 1024hz), but C6 is 1046hz. But I might be off-base, since those are pretty far apart.

For sonorous FM, putting LFO envelopes on the SY Tone’s mod and/or feedback achieves a lot of the signature basic Digitone sounds to my ear.

Yes! Love this tip, recently started doing this with Digitakt’s MIDI LFOs for sequencing Mod Wheel- and Aftertouch-connected parameters on other synths. 1x8 speed is nice for a 16-bar fade-in.

Yes, good to remind it, sorry I have synced obsessions !
122, something is close to C iirc.

I usually use A(440hz) as reference, the exact bpm being 103.125.

The formula to increase tempo to X semitones is 2^(X/12),

Funnily Amen Break bpm correspond almost perfectly to 137 bpm and D tuning. D tuning bpm :
(5 number corresponds to 5 semitones above A, hence D)

Screenshot_20221031-232105_Calculator

1 Like