Different ways of using the RYTM

The other day I met with a guitarist and we wanted to do a little jamming - he on the guitar and me on a synth - if you know your Rytm, a nice groove is programmed in near to now time. Just basic sounds and a basic rhythm fitting to the jamming might already be enough. We had lot’s of fun. But this way the Rytm was used much below its potential :wink:

Typically I use it as the rhythm machine it is and for electonic music.

1 Like

I don’t even remember what the new synth engines are called! I think a lot of engines are great for tuned melodies.

1 Like

Hi. I play drums and percussions and at the moment I am producing the record of my band, Kabila. We play mostly World Music which is per se a mix of different genres. We use ethnic instruments, electric and bass guitars, synths and pianos. But I also play acoustic drums and we have a friend playing darbuka and other arabic percussions. We sing in italian and arabic languages, with some english.
What I am doing at the moment in my production is using the AR as the backing of all of the tracks, mixing it with the percussions and, in the near future, my vintage Ludwig drums.
I programmerd all the rythms and at the moment the experiment sounds nice. Hope to post something in as soon as I’ve got it ready or almost ready.

1 Like

PS at the moment I use a Roland SPDSX live for the samples, mostly made of acoustic percussions and electronic sounds. I am planning to switch to an Octatrack/Analog Rytm set up for the backing tracks as the sound will be far more electronic in the near future

Here is an improv i did with the RYTM… I just put together a freaky acoustic drum kit and improvised along… I love the sound of the RYTM!! https://vimeo.com/168144579

11 Likes

Holy shit, you’re Matt Chamberlain! Excuse my star struckness, but that is awesome. As is your freaky acoustic kit and what you’re doing with it and the rytm. Thank you!

4 Likes

yep, if that there wasn’t the high-water-mark of user videos, well, i just don’t know, great stuff :aw: :thup:

2 Likes

Thanks for adding to the thread, Matt. I like your kit. Really like the tiny hi hats! Reminds me of some kind of finger cymbals like used in some Arabic music. I also have a collection of ethnic percussion stuff that I use quite often. Right now I have a tongue drum in place of toms on top of my kick and we always use padded mallets for a softer sound. Love to see people doing different things and using simple or uncommon kits and setups. Dude, killer programming on the RYTM! I always tell my drummer friends, you have to play with the drum machine, not try to double what it’s doing. Great example you set. Thanks again.

1 Like

Thanks again for all of your thoughtful replies. :smile: I look forward to hearing and seeing more of what you’re all doing with the RYTM (and other cool stuff)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKQfM2kVhQ this is on the level. but nothing to do nwith rythm

here’s another live improv jam using the RYTM as a very basic drum machine with an electric guitar, and analog synth (Yamaha CS-15). You can hear the AR tonality change over time because one side is going into the synth>delay pedal>tube amp and the other side straight into a clean solid state amp. I play with the filter on the synth a lot, so that effects the overall tone of the RYTM quite a bit.

This is a fairly short drum pattern. I like it, but may add some more variation or another layer to the hi-hat part to make it more interesting. I would like to use this jam again, and possibly make a song out of it. It’s rather dramatic and a bit “doomy”. I hear a lot of melody in this simple, repetetive pattern.

https://soundcloud.com/deepdarklight/6-31-2016-nine/s-8JT1w

Hi all,
here is a jam that I made using the RYTM and my Yamaha CS-15. I jammed some bass guitar over it for a disco vibe. Yes, it’s another very repetitious pattern on the AR, but I promise to post something more interesting next time. Thanks for listening and please contribute to the thread if you feel so inclined.

https://soundcloud.com/deepdarklight/cv-disk-tech

If I could make a suggestion. For more interaction with hand-occupying jam sessions, maybe get a midi pedal of some sort like the FCB1010 and see if you can activate different scenes from the toggles. Maybe see if there’s a way to tell the program to jump to the next program. And, though doubtful, maybe see if you can activate fills through a pedal option.

I think, if you’re able to do that, you might be better able to execute what you seem to be suggesting on this thread.

Also, if you’re looking for Elektron gear that you can kinda jam out with other instruments, maybe check out the Octatrack. Immediately you can use it as an effects processor. You can also figure how to use it as a looser. And then save those loops as samples and then get to work mangling!

Hey Ryan, thanks for the reply.

I’m mainly a guitar player, so my general approach is playing with other people in a band situation. The AR is working for me, but I have not much intention of using it beyond the simplest functions. That’s why I initially started the thread, because it seems like most people are using this box for very calculated techno music. I know that’s not entirely true, so I hope to coax out some of the people who are using different approaches.

I like your advice, and as I become more proficient on this device I am wanting more out of it myself. I am using the Scene and Perf modes now and working out variated stuff that I can perform solo with guitar, synth and AR. So there is more complex stuff to share at some point, but in todays world, I will stand by the simplest methods as being different and thus the point of the thread :slight_smile:

here is a simple jam with my modular setup and the RYTM. I am using only one track of the AR for a simple sequence. The stereo outputs are going into comparator on the ARC ANN logic module and that in conjunction with the 0-coast are creating some variations that make the one AR track more interesting. Basically the AR is playing the MI Elements with modulations and I play a melody on the ARP Odyssey. It sounds rather ehtnic in timbre and rhythm. It’s a way to use the sequencer on the RYTM without relying on midi out, which it does not have.

3 Likes

I had posted one like this in the mono synth rytm thread but this one is a little more refined. Im going to continue working this way to develop a live set up using only the rytm and my Keystep as part of a two piece improvisational act.

https://soundcloud.com/cscairney/did-not-go-out-1-7-2016

1 Like

yes, please continue

Yeah, the AR with its conditional locks, quick muting, retrigs, and pattern memory makes it the best trigger sequencer IMO.

I also like to use my AR to not only sequence but provide excitation signals to my MI Rings. The noise machine and all the extra filter and amp envelopes you get with it makes for a nice way to p-lock different exciter shapes for that resonator from the AR itself.

1 Like

I almost bought the Rings. Still might. Thanks for the reply. I like the way you’re thinking.

It’s still 20x more time consuming than using Elements’s own exciter variations, and rarely sounds quite as “correct,” so I wouldn’t worry about having made the wrong choice there if you like the sounds you’re getting out of Elements !