Different musical scales

Hey!
Is there a lot of people here that would love the new Octatrack mk2 OS update to include more selectable musical scales for the sequencer and arp?

I know my harmony but it would be just so much quicker to have an option to choose between more than just major, minor (and other diatonic ones) and chromatic scales. It would be great to at least have pentatonic, blues, whole tone, some exotic ones too. Would save a lot of time imo.

…or maybe someone has an advice how to save your own made up scales here?

3 Likes

Might help

7 Likes

Hey! There’s no blues scale in there, no pentatonic, no whole tone scale, no whole/half tone scale. Basically no scales that I personally like haha

Dorian is the only mode you ever need.
F Dorian man, the home of funk.

2 Likes

The chart shows modes, not scales.

It may be save in part in pattern

13 Likes

It shows both, just not all of the scales that the op was looking for.
It’s a well laid out chart. All major scales laid out across the 7 modes which, aside from modal awesomeness, gives you the corresponding minor scales. It’s by no means exhaustive but it’s 84 scales to get started with. Supplement this with another couple of efficient charts for scale types that have different intervals and you’re good to go.

Nice resource, thanks for sharing.

For the OP, in order to recall the Arp settings, i would use a template and copy/paste track from there.

This is going to sound snooty, but imo the more you know about music theory, the more underwhelming the scale and chord features of various sequencers are going to be.

Let’s say a sequencer can produce every possible chord in every possible inversion. By the time you deal with all the menu diving and/or knob turning required to choose one of a few hundred chords, it’d be easier to just enter the chord manually, one member at a time. That is, if you know how to spell a chord.

To perform a scale manually, you must first know the scale. On the other hand, to perform the same scale from a machine preset, you have to remember where that scale exists on the machine.

If we spent the same amount of time learning music theory and practicing scales as we do learning to navigate our machines, some of the gas we have for the so-called “smart” features on the latest, greatest devices…would evaporate.

The fact that unadorned scales and modes have 7 scale-degrees, creates a problem when these scales and modes are used to fill even numbers of beats. Octatonic scales will make more effective fills, repeating at the octave over an even number of beats. Similarly triads, when arpeggiated, do a poor job of filling even numbers of beats. A fourth member of the chord, or a non-chord tone, must be added in order for the arpeggio to replicate itself in a more predictable fashion.

Maybe the kind of sophistication I’m describing already exists in some sequencers, and I’m not aware of it. My frame of reference for wanting features from a sequencer is based on knowing (or thinking I know) exactly what I want to do with it. Too many features of too much gear, by contrast, seem to be based on chance and randomness.

4 Likes

My solution was to record the relevant notes of the scale in such a way you can auto-slice them. Then I can use the LFO and crossfader to modulate the start point (which is the slice address when slice mode is on) to create something resembling the arpeggiator.

I gotta agree, unless you are doing alternative intervals or just intonation it’s usually better to rely on your ears than it is to internalize all the arcane distinctions between modes.

If i want to do a C harmonic minor scale? How can i program that so that every note i put will be in that scale ? So that i can random transpose and flick around, not build stuff that generates according to the same stale patch, but actually live remake it totally random but still keep in the same scale?

1 Like

Thanks Xopek.
It works perfectly with arpeggiator, and I can make my own musical scales and modes like that. BUT! I just wish the notes you set on arpeggiator would then lock (quantize) the pitch notes when you enter midi trigs and change the pitch of those midi trigs by turning the pitch knob. I find that like that you always end up coming up with more interesting lines than you would naturally come up with. Does that make sense?

What do u mean?

I mean that it would be awesome if when you pick the notes on the arpeggiator (and make your own musical scale) it would not only work for arpeggiator, but also quantise the notes you chose when changing the pitch in record mode when you push a trig and change the pitch of it by turning the pitch turning knob (A / Start pos knob). A lot of people here say “you need to know your scales” and so on. I know my scales - I just find it that when you randomly put some trigs in and just turn the knob to change pitch - a lot of the times you get much more interesting melody / bass lines than you would naturally come up with. I mean for me that’s why use a machine like that - otherwise I could just use midi keys and a laptop.
Also as I understand Digitakt now has different musical scales with the new firmware, why didn’t Elektron update this option on OT?

The arpeggiator needs a root note to calculate the next steps. If u want to change it dynamically, do it in chromatic trigger mode. Yes, the Arpeggiator is not a scale quantifier, but OT makes it possible to use this function creatively.