Differences between mk1, keys and mk2

Anti clockwise on the overdrive on the MK2 and it’s back to an MK1. Kinda anyway

So sorta off topic:

Just got back from the Music Store and have my beloved MK1 back… ended up getting an ARP Odyssey Module Rev3 with the difference back from the MK2. The ARP should make up for the aggressive, bass sounds I will be missing from the MK2.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

2 Likes

Bass, more bass, then even more bass

I have A4 mk1 and AKeys and cannot notice an obvious difference in sound. The only thing I can say is the Keys has slightly more ‘presence’ if that makes sense. Can’t best the A4 mk1 for portability. It is my favourite Electron Box and the one I have mastered more over the others. I feel more at home with it than anything else.

1 Like

I wonder if there are differences between individual units? Given that they are analog, there might be. My AK sounds very different from my old A4 - I compared them back-to-back when I got the AK, and the AK’s low frequency boost was quite apparent, and they sounded very different when cranking the filter resonance. You make me wonder if my AK needs to be calibrated…

I would assume there would be differences between units sure.

1 Like

If there are differences between units, then it is impossible to collect all the different versions of the A4… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

My elektron collecting days are over :neutral_face:

1 Like

Having owned both I’d agree. They didnt sound too different at all. But, I did find a difference in the Mk2 I had. Like I said before, hard to pinpoint what exactly - sure it has more bass and a little more “presence” (as you put it - makes sense to me!) - but there was something else I couldnt put my finger on.

Mk2, never tried and probably never will :expressionless:

1 Like

i sold the analog four mk1 probably 5 years ago by now and miss it way too much so I plan to get the mk2 but seeing as mk2 is $1400 vs mk1 for $700 I’ve been weighing the two to decide which to get it’s come down to the audio interface for me, can mk1 also be used as audio interface or only the mk2? also what made you upgrade if you chose to?

Do you mean audio interface in regards to Overbridge? If so, yes you can use the MK1 as with Overbridge. You can also use the MK1 with external input through either the FX tracks (R + L inputs are separate) or you can use one of the tracks external input through the filter (R + L inputs can be separate as well). I hope this is helpful.

I’m guessing they’re asking if it can be used as a Class Compliant audio interface which I believe that only the MK2 can do.

1 Like

I had both and vastly preferred the Mk2. There isn’t one big reason why, but it’s a lot of little things; the new distortion sounds better and way different; the interface is much better; the form factor is more comfortable; the “keyboard” is better to play with; the quick performance knob is useful; individual audio and CV I/O; etc.

Nothing groundbreaking, but I’m glad I went with the Mk2.

If you can swing it, go for it. I sometimes see them going used for ~$950, and I bought mine B-stock around the same price.

3 Likes

Do you have the black one? Because I think I’m convinced now to get the mk2

I bought my MKII a few months ago on Reverb for $1,100.

No, I bought mine before the black version was released. Honestly if price is an issue I’d stick to trying to find the original grey vs the black. In that instance it’s purely aesthetic, and they greys go for less than the black.

1 Like

For that kinda price differential, I’d rather have A4 MK1 + Analog Heat over A4 MK2.

But it’s easy to find A4 MK2s in the $900+ range. Best to compare apples to apples (used vs used, not used MK1 vs new MK2)

2 Likes

I share this same perspective—all those small tweaks add up to an instrument that I click with so much more deeply than I did with the MK I. The only thing I miss is that stylish MK I design aesthetic. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

That’s exactly it. They’re both capable and sound great, but the Mk2 was definitely so much more pleasing to use.

1 Like