Did Overbridge used to work well?

Just started using Digitakt and Analog Heat II with Overbridge.

Has Overbridge always had problems?

I can not get it to work consistently. It drops audio from the Analog Heat after some random amount of time.

Was there ever a time that Overbridge worked consistently? It is so frustration trying to learn something new when you can’t be sure if it is even working correctly ha!

nope.

3 Likes

Yes, I have always had some sort of issue with Overbridge 2.0

nope. flawed from the start. I think I’ve said this many times on the forum, but I wish they just kept overbridge a plugin for automation and presets. The whole audio over usb thing is what made OB in to this unreliable mess.

2 Likes

I’m asking bc I’ve built this little setup around the Heat as a soundcard for Cubase and at some point will have to abandon this plan, abandon OB, and just get another soundcard.

The Heat sounds amazing and this would be such an efficient setup if OB would stop dropping audio!

Going back through the forum it seems like OB used to work as a given. For example I was investigating Heat as a soundcard/various configurations with other elektron gear/etc and often OB was offered as a solution.

I think it can work well with the right computer, the right OS, and the right DAW. It seems flaky for a lot of configurations though.

An old legend says it used to work. But an evil beast killed the unicorn and something went wrong in OB’s realm. We all wait now for a pure hearted knight to fix all those bugs and issues.
Frankly, the more I use it, the more I think OB is unreliable and almost useless because it doubles but doesn’t complement the HW. Elektron should focus on useful features (like audio routing and project management) instead of fancy GUI.

2 Likes

OB works more consistently with the digitakt vs the Heat.

I’m just hoping they can fix the audio dropping issue soon.

Unfortunate combination of DAW/computer?

Running a well spec windows 10 machine with Cubase 11 pro and the Heat as the soundcard. Not sure how much more generic it can get!

MacOS Big Sur here. Random audio drop outs under Logic. And automation freezes the DN with a nice EXCEPTION DN0051 V03 M0 P40110ED2… message. I just have to shut down the whole rig as I use it as my main audio interface now. Unreliable.

Yes, but did OB used to work more reliably with the same setup?

That’s what I’m having a hard time with. There are years old threads where it seems that OB is working fine on most systems, recommended as a solution to many set up configurations - but now it is not working reliably.

If this is the case then I can hold out hope that this will be resolved at some point soon.

There is a specific problem with the latest OS on Analog Heat. I downgraded to 1.20 and it seems ok for me now

Sad to hear. New to trying out OB, in Ableton. Halfway the Ableton Live trial period, so it’d be good to know if it’s too flakey before I potentially save up for the full Ableton 11.

Up till now both my Rytm mk2 and A4 mk2 have performed without any issue.
2020 MacBook Air, latest OS.
Still running the Overbridge public Beta - as long as I have no issues I’d rather stick with what’s working:)

Maybe I’m an exception, but OB has performed flawlessly for me since 2018. The only exception being when I bought a new interface and had to re-setup my OB settings to align, which took about 15 minutes to optimize.

I do think that Elektron could do a better job at providing setup information (especially geared towards newer users). If I had been coming at this when I was a beginner I would have lost my mind, because the OB interface tool-tips, and documentation is pretty shite

2 Likes

I have no issues with Oberbridge on a Mac mini 2018 with Catalina. Running Digitakt, Digitone, Rytm and A4 keys via USB hub at the same time. No audio dropping, I can turn the devices off while plug-in is running within Ableton. All good.

Only issue I have is sometimes one of the boxes is “measuring “ in Oberbridge engine and then I have to restart the Mac, but that does not happen very often.

I would so much like to be able to use overbridge, but I also have constant dropouts. I have invested days and tried everything. It is unfortunately unusable for me.

It’s been an absolute car crash.

Sat down again today to try and get something going and ran into problem after problem after problem.

Elektron have stumbled through this mess for several years now and it still isn’t reliable. My advice to anyone is don’t waste your precious time with overbridge. A fruitless experience

1 Like

I’m in the same boat as @braken, never had problem with Overbridge. Used it with the Rytm, DT and DN without a hitch. I’m on OSX though, can’t speak for Windows.

2 Likes

Lol no.

I’ve yet to have any issues with overbridge using it with my Digitakt and Logic Pro X. I’m running Mojave on a base 2017 MacBook Pro 13 inch with 8gb of ram.

I so wish they would do this. I bought a Rytm and then ended up having to buy an OctoPre just to play it live with individual outs. All I want is Total Recall, I don’t need audio over USB – too much latency, too many flow-stopping problems.

(that said, Overbridge with Analog Heat for wetting up some loops is a great use case)