DFAM mind melting thread

The tracks on this thread are all live performed into a little Zoom recorder then uploaded straight to SoundCloud. The signal path is as follows:
DFAM :arrow_right: Triple Delay pedal :arrow_right: mixer stereo channel
Lyra 8 :arrow_right: Polara Reverb pedal :arrow_right: mixer stereo channel
Analog Heat as an insert effect on the Master Buss
Zoom on Rec out of the mixer.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I was looking at the disting last night actually, looks like a winner.

I’m also building the DFAM into the case specifically to try to restrict my buying atm but am in little doubt that it will eventually find its way back into its own case to make room for more stuff.

1 Like

Any tips for using delay on drums? (Delay time, feedback etc.). Whenever I stick delay on my dfam it just sounds messy… (lack of skill on my part no doubt)

Less is more for me. I keep the delayed signal quite low in the mix, if you get the signal too wet it will go really muddy in the bottom end, so I have my mix knob on my delay usually between 25 and 50%. I’d be very keen to separate the wet signal and put it through an eq to clean up my mixes a bit because I think it’s an area that could sound a lot better.
Time and feedback are less trouble when you have the levels right.

2 Likes

If you can low cut your fx, do it. Better mixes result. I cut at 300hz.

Other than that, delay on DFAM, just twiddle the knobs until it sounds right. All my DFAM stuff has delay on it.

3 Likes

Cheers. I see you use the triple delay pedal. Is that fairly straightforward to use or is there a bit of menu diving involved?

It’s very straightforward to use, no menus at all (except for downloading the toneprint options, which I’ve not really needed). I’m actually selling it if you want it.

I have the Maths and PEG for this purpose and both are great but a little hp heavy. I’m thinking of getting a Zadar soon.

This thread has made me rethink my setup. I enjoy fiddling with the DFAM so much I think I want to pack away the Rytm and the A4 and replace them with the mother 32 and a couple of pedals. I know it’s not as ‘powerful’ but the immediacy and 1 knob per function is so much fun.

1 Like

Maybe just pack away the RYTM and use the A4 with the DFAM and Mother. The A4 will make a good hub for that setup. It can act as a pedal and extra modulation. Plus the four extra synths inside you’ll be wanting soon enough.

1 Like

Although I’ve only had Rytm for two months or so (I reacquired the DFAM at around the same time) I’ve already put my Rytm for sale. I really like the sound and it definitely is immensely powerful but weighed against the immediacy and fun factor of the DFAM the Rytm will have to go. Can’t keep a machine as expensive as Rytm just to use it a couple times a month.

A4 however I definitely wouldn’t swap for a Mother 32, but then again I really didn’t like the m32 when I briefly had it.

3 Likes

What was wrong with the mother?

It was my first (semi-)modular so admittedly user fault for the most part but I didn’t like the sequencer nor the keyboard. Even the sound was kinda blaah to me. Already said this in another thread but the biggest thing was I had watched all these Youtube videos with the M32 run through a lush reverb but when I got it I realised that’s not the music I wanna make myself. A turd through a nice reverb always sounds decent but deep within I’d still know it’s a turd.

DFAM on the other hand… Just went a bit crazy with pedals and will couple them with DFAM. Y’know, coz my music always a bit turd-y. :laughing:

1 Like

I was wondering how that Sonoclast MAFD actually does its magic? Its connected to the ADV/CLOCK on the DFAM and I thought that it was just a trigger input, but apparently it understands something more than just a trig signal to be able to select between the sequencers eight steps… Different voltages on the trig? Anyone knows?

1 Like

I don’t. Definitely mysterious.

11 Likes

oh what? Like on a sequential switch? When you can selected the connection between the common in and the sequenced out with a cv voltage? You mean I could run a lfo into the ADV/Clock in and the sequencer position would follow the lfo? What If I send a row of the DFAM seq into the ADV/CLOCK in? That would be total mindblowing ofcourse.

Will try that out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF6GRCjxO0Y
Here you can see how he is using midi notes to select which sequence step to trigger and its only connected to the ADV/Clock input. Just wonder how that can be possible…

2 Likes

hmm, there must be some more magic happens under the hood.

DFAM Manual says:

ADV / CLOCK (SEQUENCER STEP ADVANCE / CLOCK INPUT) This input allows the DFAM to be synchronized to an external clock source such as another DFAM or a Mother-32. When the input of a clock’s rising edge is detected, the Sequencer pattern is advanced by one step. In this mode, the TEMPO knob is ignored.
INPUT 0V to +5V Clock Signal (+10V tolerant)
NOTE: Slowly changing signals may be ignored. An example of this would be an Accent assigned to the Assignable output jack on the Mother-32.

I guess maybe it sends a series of adv/clock pulses very fast to select the correct step? But then how to mute the in-between ones. Curious!