Detailed chain mode method broken?

Hey all!

As described in page 44 of the manual you can apparently create a chain even if CHAIN mode is deactivated. except it just doesn’t work or at least for me. (pressing [BANK X/X] + [TRIG] always replace the current pattern and not add a new one at the cursor location) Is that a known issue? that’s a major bummer for live situation where you want to prepare your chain prior to playing it! thanks!

Nope, works fine

Maybe you’re on the scratch line or not following instructions, you have to move the cursor either side of a pattern to add to a chain and then you need to select the edited chain line to play it once it’s set up

hmm, I swear I’ve been through these steps 100 times!

Assuming pattern A1 is already selected and is shows like this: _ _:[A01]

• step 1 CHAIN mode is deactivated [check]
  • step 2 pressing [CHAIN MODE] + [RIGHT] (cursor is now after pattern A1: _ _:A01|) [check]
  • step 3 pressing [BANK A] + [TRIG 2] (I want to chain A2 to A1)[check]

At that stage I should have a sequence with patterns A1 - A2 chained together am I right? but the current pattern is replaced by the selected pattern always , in that case I have pattern A2 as the current pattern ( _ _:[A02] )!

What do you mean by “Maybe you’re on the scratch line” ? I have no clue as what I’m doing wrong, thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

I see what you’re being thrown by, sort of, I’ve never really used that mode of creation, I tend to go into edit mode Fn+Edit and create new chain lines there (or quick on the fly style)

Doing it the way that you detail it brings up a blank line along the bottom, in that menu it will chain if you select and hold multiple patterns, however, that is at odds with the wording there

the behaviour of patterns/scratch in general was subtly tweaked in the last OS, see release notes for that, it may be relevant

I think the issue you found may be valid after all, either relating to the exact wording or current implementation - I’m not chaining that way so I can’t comment on whether it has changed - I always quick chain

I think the you’re probably right after all (agree re wording), but I’m not really a heavy chain user, see if a chain guru can shed some light on it - it’s all a bit finicky in that menu with cursors and highlighted lines and scratch lines and chain lines

2 Likes

global length set to infinity or 1024 on any of the tracks track lengths?

No they’re all on 64. Do you guys agree that how it’s explained on page 44 this method is broken? I haven’t found any new notes related to that!

The comment I recalled vaguely was this one …

• List of changes from OS 1.22 to 1.23

• When selecting a new pattern, if not in song nor chain mode, the new pattern will no longer replace the old. Instead the new pattern will be placed alone in the work chain, and playback will continue there.

The important aspect being ‘alone in the work chain’

Now, may not be significant, but things have been tweaked recently

My hunch is unexpected behaviour … if you create a Chain using the methods I described (which gets you what you want anyway)
Fn+Edit / Fn+New / edit / select / engage
then you can have a working chain

now if you don’t engage chain mode and go in to edit this existing chain (as you discuss above), any editing will wipe that chain out … I very much doubt that’s intended and it is not as written

perhaps @Ess can chip in

1 Like

That’s exactly right and I think it’s a bug because according to the manual editing this chain using that method should be possible. Thanks

broken in 1.23b for sure. rolling back to 1.23 from April 28 after Simon’s advice.

Just hit this problem myself. The current pattern seems to always get replaced when in the scratch row and the chain mode is deactivated, and using detailed chain mode for editing… The wording is pretty confusing.

(Still with chain mode off & doing detailed chain editing:) When I’m on some non-scratch rows of a song, adding a pattern works once, but the second time it just jumps to the scratch row and replaces the pattern there. On some rows it doesn’t even work once and jumps directly to the scratch row and replaces th
e pattern there. EDIT2: <-- I couldn’t reproduce this anymore so maybe I just had accidentally enabled chain mode…?

I’m using the latest version, 1.24C for Analog Keys.

EDIT: Okay so quick mode seems to work well enough for me. It works even when starting with chain mode disabled, and enables chain mode after selecting the patterns.

However the manual page 47 (latest manual version, OS1.23-1) should probably be updated as it says:

Chains can be created even if CHAIN mode is deactivated. […] Create chains according to detailed mode by pressing […]

which clearly doesn’t work well.