Design Idea for Modern Octatrack/ Digi style mixer

Hey yall just sharing my idea for a simplified modern octatrack or a new Digi style Mixer:

Digi sized box, cross fader at the bottom, 2 screens, one for “A” side and one for “B” side. Each screen shows list of fx, current track, Bpm and audio pool. Can play incoming audio or songs/samples loaded onto the drive (or usb input). Can have 4 parameter knobs for each screen and 4 master parameter knobs. Ability to use as a traditional dj controller with song playing on side A and being able to cue the next song on side B. Master effects can be applied to the whole mix with freeze delays, reverb, looper, compressor etc. maybe can borrow the envelope follower and analog saturation + distortion from analog heat?

The big thing to set it apart from other boxes could be to have presets for transitions. You can have a bunch of transition presets like risers or sweeps/drum fills that are pre programed (and be able to customize your own) that will activate a transition over 4 or 8 bars into your next song . Give it 2 stereo inputs maybe an SD card.

Definietly would not be an Octatrack killer, instead would be a cheaper alternative for someone that just wants a super simple digi style mixer without all the functionality of the Octatrack. This was just a fun idea I had, the application however of how it’s built and the most important deciding factor the PRICE would certainly be a difficult decision. The price of Analog heat +fx imo is pretty outrageous at $1350 CAD, The Octatrack is roughly $1900 CAD unless you get it used. A simple digi style mixer without OT functionality I would love to see at like $600 but we all know it would be more like $1000 - $1200. Also if they did add analog heat distortion it would take away sales for the heat so I don’t think they would do that (but would be awesome if they did).

Just wanted to share and see if anyone else has thought about this or had ideas!

Surprised there isn’t many performance fx mixers

1 Like

Right?? I love the OT but it’s old, expensive and most people don’t even come close to utilizing all it’s functionality. I would forego most of the functionality for a simple stripped down digi mixer. it would be awesome to have some updated modern fx that sound better and I think having a bunch of programmed transitions would be really cool

1 Like

Octatrack MKI…

2 Likes

I guess simplicity and updated better sounding fx are important factors too. Plus pre programmed transitions. If it was ever made I would choose it over OT mk1

…sorry, but what u imagine would not end up any cheaper, is a bit one dimensional and u can find lot’s and lot’s of next new ot or plocking capable multi fx mixer concepts all over this place already…many even with over the top photoshopped wetdreaming ideas about that same basic thought of urs…ckeck it out via the search engine and ur in for a long late night treat…

and who really wants pre defined transitions end of all realworld days, if all sorts of transitions u can only think and dream of are done within seconds including heaps of fun…?

3 Likes

Just make it.
OT is simple once you know it. :content:

So you’d want a powerful machine with presets suiting you prefectly without setting them ?
Good luck ! :content:

OT can make incredible transitions with some buttons presses and knob tweaking, you can save and modify templates at will…

I don’t think so. Subjective ?
Maybe you’re too young to realise it is not that old. :slight_smile:
Maybe I am too old…

4 Likes

If I remember correctly, before Cenk’s exit he expressed interest in Elektron doing an all out mixer. This led me to believe this concept was on the table, because he seemed a bit upset about the Syntakt getting priority. I have a Syntakt and love it, but can’t help but wonder what it could have been like had Cenk been allowed to help develop his dream mixer. And while we’re at it, I’d prefer a flagship size box with gobs of analog inputs.

That said, I think my OT is a darn fine performance mixer.

3 Likes

Love Cenk and all his dataline music! Would have been cool to see the design he would come up with :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love the Octatrack too no hate lol I don’t plan on parting with mine anytime soon just thought a new mixer from elektron with updated higher quality fx would be sick!

2 Likes

Using the OT Cue Out with some «modern» external FXs could be something to think about.

3 Likes

That would make sense for sure ! I am always disturbed when people say OT is too old.
There are cpu and ram limitations, but you can stack up to 16 (yes), different fx in a stereo fx chain, sequence them, control up to 250 parameters with the crossfader, etc…

Imho you can get high quality fx using resampling with feedback (recording CUE, send ti CUE).
Filters, Compressor, Comb Filters are really efficient. I like Dark Reverb with Hipass, Chorus, Flanger and Phaser may need extra lfos.
Try 2 Comb Filters with opposite feedback, modulate their tune with lfos : you can get unique fxs, extreme flanger…

3 Likes