Deleting factory samples? And a couple other sample questions

First, Is there any way to delete the factory samples? I’ve looked around to see if there is a way to take the write protect off of them?

Also Is there any way to see a percentage of how much sample space remaining from the available 1GB storage space? (If not that’s a major feature request!)

Lastly I’ve been having issues whenever I upload samples…I’ll set up the upload (using all the suggested settings in other posts/tutorials) and after a certain amount of samples (usually around 100) it just stops, No error message or anything. I’m uploading all one shot sounds and they are very small.

1. No you can’t delete the factory samples.

2. No you can’t see how much free +Drive space you got left.

3 .It’s a known bug and quite annoying. Some say they get better result if they aren’t in the folder view on their AR when uploading but for me it appears totally random. Sometimes it works just fine and other times it’s happening quite frequently, like every 10th sample.

Both the turbo speed and the reliability of uploading samples seems working better for me if I:

a. Restart my AR before starting C6.

b. Only have the USB midi enabled on the AR.

c. Avoid having any other applications that access midi channels running on my computer while uploading. (I’m on Windows 8)

d. Convert the samples to 16bit 48kHz mono. (This removes any faulty sample file problems and makes the data size being transferred most of the time considerably smaller.)

I think you can delete the factory samples (and preset) by formating the +Drive.

In the “Format +Drive” menu you can choose to erase projects+sounds and/or samples.

I did a format selecting samples a while back and that only removed my samples but the factory samples where still there. (For me that’s a good thing.)

Might have changed in a later OS update of course.

Oh OK. My bad. :slight_smile:

That’s completely ridiculous!
I was under the impression that the Analog rytm sample incorporation was well implemented (Because that’s how their advertising states it) and I bought it thinking I could use it just as much as a one shot sample playback machine as an analog drum machine. I’m a sound designer by trade I make sample packs and loops for a living and I thought that the AR would be the perfect solution to allow me to create loops out of the one shot samples I’ve created without the need for the computer with the bonus of adding analog sounds to the mix while I work…That was a major selling point for me.

I do see great potential in the AR but the sample loading needs a complete overhaul because as it stands now with the painfully long sample loading time and even worse the fact that it gets flakey and doesn’t finish uploading the samples you send it and does not give any indication of how full the sample memory is. It’s pretty much like a minor add-on as opposed to being a large part of the engine, Which is how Elektron is billing it.

I’ve been heavily into all of my Elektron boxes since I first bought my Monomachine years ago and this is the first time I’ve actually been disappointed by them. Granted I still am very much into the AR as an analog drum machine (while still keeping my fingers crossed that they will add a lot more ‘machines’ to it) but for $1500 I am very disappointed with the way the AR handles (mishandles) samples. Come on Elektron, You guys are kings of hardware, Step up your game!

@Dataline Hopefully you can chime in here to give us some hope that Elektron is looking into the sample loading issues. I know that Elektron is tight lipped about their updates and that’s totally understandable but it would be comforting to know that they are at least looking into this.

@LarsErik Thank you for the tips I’ll try them out and hopefully get some better results in the meantime.

For what is worth, I’ve had the AR for about 3 months and I’ve only scratched the surface on it as of yet. The sample loading feature was key a key selling point for me, while figuring out the best way to load samples I came across an iOS app called STROM for the iPad (Sampler) in which along with a Lighting-to-camera connector you can easily and quickly load samples into your AR. Providing that you already have an iPad, you can do this for about $55 (Strom App $5 + AR in-app feature $20 + Lighting-to-camera connector $29).

So far everything works perfectly and timely but I just can’t seem to find the samples I have transferred to my AR. I know that the transfer was done because I can see the transfer progress and completion on the STROM app but I can’t find them, any ideas?

So the incoming folder on the +Drive is empty? If that’s the case your AR might use the last folder you choose to do “upload here”.