Delay & reverb

Hi, im new on OT2, how do i add delay & reverb on tracks ?

If you mean both to a single track, you can’t. you can add one of the delay or reverb engines on fx2.

double tap one of the fx buttons to bring up their setup menus. You’re gonna def need to read the manual if there’s a localization in your language. Octa is a big machine :slight_smile:

Edit: you can also use a neighbor machine to use two track slots for one track so you can have 4 fx on a track. which means you could have reverb on the first and delay on the second track.

2 Likes

Thx, i looked, not found… but maybe i’ll add a master track too :slight_smile:

That’s usually how i do it. master track with compressor and reverb. individual delays as needed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, actually you can, but it’s kind of a bug.
Copy the delay page on FX2, paste it on FX1 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

possible to track send to master fx ?

I wasn’t about to send a hack that we still aren’t sure is stable to someone who got their ot yesterday :stuck_out_tongue:

@mk2 No you can’t really do send throws to the master track. you could make the reverb on the master a Send reverb, Or set up a crossfader scene with more reverb than the normal setting to kind of create different feels for what’s being sent in. You could also take advantage of the cue outputs and integrate an external (better) reverb then “throw” by routing the track to the cue outs momentarily. it’s a kludge either way. Getting the most out of the octatrack requires creative problem solving :slight_smile:

2 Likes

…neighbour machines that add nothing but another two fx slots more to treat that specific track before…
while working within the master track configuration, ALL tracks end up in that master track…
a neighbour track to all the rest of the machines track content, so to say…

and even without the hack trick, u can pick all other reverbs for any of the two track fx slots…
only the dark reverb got that exclusive fx slot restriction thing going on…

the list of available fx engines can always be reached by double tapping the fx slot buttons…

You can’t add the plate or spring reverb to fx1

1 Like

no?..ooops…time to use the fx slots more often again…i’m kind of out of touch these days…
but i “only” got dark reverb, filter delay, dj three band eq, compressor, lofi crushing AND my always beloved comb filter in use anyways…all the rest got mostly skipped in all the years…

3 Likes

I do like the spring reverb as an effect for kinda lo-fi sounds more than the lofi effect lol :slight_smile: but yeah Dark reverb is pretty much the only reverb.

1 Like

You can make any track a send as long as you aren’t using you cue for anything else. Put the OT into stduio mode (manual page 36), set up a track with a record trig on step one and a play trig on the same step (microtimed one click late (manual page 77) with CUE as the record source. The cue level for the other tracks is now a send level, and anything sent to cue goes to the track you just set up. Put a reverb on FX slot 2 with mix set to 127 and you have a reverb send.

3 Likes

This is great stuff! Have to try it some time

Make sure you turn the cue level all the way down on the track you’re using as a send, or you’ll get feedback (but also try turning it up just a little, sometimes feeding the reverb back into itself a tiny bit can sound really good)

Yeah that makes sense. I had a fun time half a year ago of recording trackrecorders back into themselves. This should be similarish!

With the copy reverb to FX1 hack?
Seems buggy with Gate reverb, but it worked with Spring on track 3.

Btw I could use 2 reverbs at the same time on that track (Spring and/or Dark). Weird because it doesn’t seem to work on track 1…and I had to clear the part to do it again on track 3…

Interesting to combine 2 reverbs!

Can be interesting! I always use feedback with Cue record as fx send / return. Recording can be pitched, resampled, repitched till liquefaction!

Pitched delay with comb filters

Shimmer reverb

1 Like

Right but if you value your speakers and ears you don’t want to start with cue at its default level.

It’s better to start at a lower CUE level, but if it’s to high it leads to digital clipping, not as bad as an analog path feedback.

Here it set CUE send (Normal CUE mode) for feedback at default Level, which is a mistake, too loud. But I didn’t ruin my speakers!

Digital clipping = square waves = the worst possible thing you can put through a tweeter. Depends on your monitor levels, but it’s an easy thing to miss the first time you do it.

I like building rhythmic multitap delays by setting up a send track in the usual way but placing multiple play trigs on it and feeding it back into itself.

2 Likes