Delay issue

I have a sporadic issue with my monomachine whereby it echoes out of control after a while.

It is seriously hard to track down, because I have no idea when it is going to happen and it doesn’t seem to be consistent in terms of which machine is active or what settings cause it. I can only say that it seems to happen ~25% of the time when certain machines have delay send applied to them, and it always takes a bit for it to creep in. The sound is essentially like something got recorded into a buffer and is feeding back, even though the feedback settings on the delay are set lower than 50 for any given track.

Has anyone ever run into this?
I feel crazy because it seems to come up with specific patterns and then not with others.

The ONLY thing that will cause it to stop is hitting the stop button like 5 times and then it will cut out promptly to silence.
I’ve literally had to do this in a live show before, which sucks obviously, because the gear connected to the machine in my MIDI chain has to be restarted and of course it isn’t on the beat.

Does anyone have advice? Things to check? Tests? Affirmations?

Thanks in advance,
fb

This tends to happen when the feedback is set to high on the delay.

Be interesting to see the setting of tracks it’s happening on for you

The feedback is under 50 on all tracks.

Above 45-50 is when this starts to happen. If you push 60-65 it can get incredibly overwhelming. It does depend in some ways on the other delay setting (time, send, etc). It’s really something that needs to be played around with. But yeah it happens usually when feedback is to high.
Try bringing the feed back down on a track it’s happening on when it happens. See if that changes things

I like to ride 30-33 on my feedback

Can you elaborate on what you mean here?

The shorter the delay time the less time it will take for the feedback to get out of control. In my experience, feedback gets overwhelming above 63 or 64. You can also adjust DBAS and DWID to filter out some frequencies to control it better. Though dangerous, the delay feedback isn’t a bug, but another tool for you to use in sound sculpting!

2 Likes