Default "pitch" is C, right?

I’m prob. wasting bits here, butnI just want to be sure. And because I’m a tone deaf drummer, I can’t tell by ear. :slight_smile:

If trig note=0 and sample or synth tune = 0, the pitch of the tone barring any other mods should be a “C” correct?

Only asking because sometimes with the above settings two voices sound a bit out of tune… AR doesn’t have osc drift does it?

yes

2 Likes

C3 it is

1 Like

Yea, but C3 can be different… that’s why I was keeping it simple and just say’n “c” instead of having to identify metric or imperial or new math or whatever “C”

I suspect it is centred around a lower c irrespective of the chosen notation - in terms of the midi note the 4 octave range is centred on

edit: worth noting that tuning does not always follow semitones, some machines require two clicks to get a semitone shift

is this documented somewhere?

2 Likes

avantronica is right it depends about the Synth Model/machine and as “it’s analog” : Device too can vary slightly. This Tuning table can help… and you will see it’s not a middle C everywhere at 0. I started on the highest range because that’s the one who are easiest to analyzed then i lowered the values and analyzed to make sure the range and increments are fine.

Use the Recalibration process only when Elektron recommend to do it after Firmware upgrade or if technical support ask you to recalibrate. Otherwise patience and warm the Device and see if this Tune table help you. it should help a bit if our device (mine and yours) are closed to each other.

Also don’t be too scientist with tuning, use your hears too… if it’s sound good and you are in the good range in key (fundamental) sometimes to take harmonics and/or music harmony can make something great as well.

3 Likes

No!
A lot of strange answers here :slight_smile:

The pitch of the sample depends completely on the sample!

If your sample is of a C note then yes, with all the settings at 0 it will play back a C.
But likewise, if your sample is of 42 cents above F# then that will be played back when note is 0.

So playback pitch is depending on the actual sample.
That’s why you have the pitch + fine in the sample menu. Here you can tune the sample to your liking. If it’s not C then you can make it C here.
Then you actually use the Trig page to do the actual Notes.
When you play in a sequence in chromatic mode then this Note parameter in Trig menu is what is used.

Another thing to remember is that when you send midi notes to the rytm then a C note (dunno the octave) will play back with note being 0.

So if you want to play chromatically on a midi keyboard you should make sure that the sample plays back a C when the trig menu note is 0.
So you either have a sample that already contains a C at the right sample rate or you adjust the pitch and fine in the sample menu.

With the analog stuff you do the same. You change the pitch in the machine menu to tune it, then you use the note parameter on the trig page to do the actual playing.
And if you want to play it chromatically you probably want to tune it to C, like the sample.

Everyone here knows that a sample is a completely different kettle of fish to the synthesis, we’re not discussing the obvious, but the nuances of the machine tuning :zonked:

1 Like

OP didn’t know.
He asked if a sample will play a C when tune and note are 0.
People answered that yes, which doesn’t make sense.
If the sample does not contain a C at 44100kHz then you won’t hear a C when note and pitch is 0.
And for the record, most musical samples are not in C.

2 Likes

Actually he ask for both so some replied for synth and you reply for sample. all is covered for him now :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah yea, true. :slight_smile:
But as you said even that is not perfectly C all the time.

1 Like

On my Analog Rytm with my Tune table, i always get proper results with all usable synth model. But when i layer my drums i have a bunch of favorites Sample layers when each one is available to me in C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B so then when i tune my drums i associate the good sample parts to match my synth in key

You won’t hear a C if you feed the RYTM a 44.1kHz C sample in the default state, it works with 16/48/mono

Only the later machines have been reliably set up to act like tunable oscillators in their own rights, these are indeed centred around C at the default position, they will play consistent chromatically using the sequencer, but the tuning of the oscillators in the machines is not always in semitones, some take 2 steps to achieve a semitone

1 Like

I just use my ears. There is always some pitch source available here to pitch against and its a pretty fast proces. Twist and listen. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol. Ooh sorry my bad. 48khz it is!

2 Likes