Default drums?

Can I change the default drums in the digitakt when starting a fresh project?

Hey, you canā€™t but what you can do is create a blank project with your own drum sounds and use it as a template. Instead of creating a new project, you can just load this template next time you want to start a new song. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you very much that was very helpful.

2 Likes

I figured that that would be the only workaround.

The only issue is if you accidentally overwrite that default template by accident. I guess you just have to make sure you save it as s different name ASAP.

The other issue is that the existing Digitakt default kit will still be present on all the other patterns (in ALL banks, A-H). :neutral_face: Is there a way of clearing the drums from ALL patterns, so that you have a completely clean project?

1 Like

This is not correct. The init kit for all patterns in a project are the first 8 sample slots. If you have cleared the default ā€œdigitalā€ kit from the project ram all patterns will be cleared of the default samples.

3 Likes

Ah, cool - I didnā€™t know that.

How is that done?

EDIT: I think Iā€™ve found it - in the Samples folder, navigate to ā€˜VIEW RAMā€™ - in there it displays the 8 samples used in the default kit.

If I select them all and choose UNLOAD, will that give me completely empty default projects moving forward?

1 Like

Yes it will. It clears the first eight slots. The samples you then put in there will be the defaults on every pattern for Travis 1-8.

1 Like

I assume thatā€™s a typo, but what is ā€˜Travisā€™?

Do you mean ā€˜tracksā€™?

Also, if I load the RAM with more than 8 samples, will the first 8 be automatically assigned to the tracks/pads of every pattern in new projects, but I will also automatically have access to the additional samples I have loaded to RAM?

If that is the case, would it make sense to have a larger amount of samples ALWAYS loaded in RAM, or will that negatively impact performance?

I guess what Iā€™m asking, is it better to have a selection saved there, or is it better to load a fresh bunch of samples each time you load a project?

It all depends on how you work. Generally I just add samples to project ram as needed. Some people like to fill up the whole sample pool.

If you plan to live sample you would probably want to leave space in the project ram for assigning newly recorded samples.

1 Like

Default samples are the first 8 that are loaded in the project sample list*.
You can therefore change them easily, and they will be available for the whole project.

If you want to load a bunch of generic samples you always use when starting a new project, best workflow IMO is to

• put your (e.g. 30) favorite samples in the same folder
  • unload default samples
  • load the whole folder in your project (or the ā€project sample listā€)

You shouldnā€™t load 128 samples IMO, as you wouldnā€™t have any slot left for loading new samples if you ever want to.

Loading systematically the whole sample list would have no effect on the performance, however.

* This ā€œproject sample listā€ is NOT the Sound Pool. Sound Pool is a list of 128 samples that are mainly used for Sound locks, while ā€œproject sample listā€ is the list of samples accessible through SRC menu/SAMP parameter.

1 Like

Lol woops yes. Phone fingers. Tracks.

1 Like

Cool - thanks everybody for explaining so clearly. Appreciated :+1:

Here is a cool, quick tip from Ricky Tinez, that enables you to save ā€˜kitsā€™ as patterns:

1 Like

To share kits across patterns, you could also use the CTRL-AL feature on SMPL selection, and change the 8 samples at once.
Then itā€™s just a matter to keep your project sample list tidy and always load your kits samples 8 by 8.

1 Like

Really?

Iā€™ll have to try that.