Dedicated Elektron granular box - when?

closed

3 Likes

granular makes a lot of sense with sampling, so i can see it on a future release. i just don’t consider it the domain of a synthesis box like Syntakt, and i don’t think syntakt is unimaginative, rather intentionally undercooked so there is more time to develop features and create sales-driving updates.

A future multi fx box or OT3 seems like it would be the right platform for them to try this effect, for sure.

4 Likes

You can already do forms granular synthesis on Elektrons. I think a lot of people that say granular don’t actually understand what that entails, and it’s being said more because people are deeming it’s the next “thing I need to actually start making music”

14 Likes

I have a feeling that granular could really work well with my music and my recent approach to songwriting. I would love if Elektron tackled it. But I‘m not sure how well the seemingly processing intense nature of granular would work with the expectation of being able to plock everything on an Elektron box. Curious to hear from someone with expertise if this could be an issue or not.

1 Like

I find it more likely there will be upgrades to features of existing machines than approaching a niche market in the current economic climate with a dedicated granular piece of hardware. OT mk3 is even questionable however if it does appear, I’m certain it will have this capability as well.

7 Likes

Pseudo

1 Like

Apparently someone in the know, who had inside knowledge of syntakt before it’s release, has stated they are working on an OT3, so it’s anyone’s guess, but i wouldn’t be shocked if it was granular capable. Until then it’s all about working within the constraints of elektrons to achieve extraordinary results, as it always has been

3 Likes

This

…i’m pretty confident that they will give us their very own take on granular within a truu new procuct design for the octatrack…

a box that “only” does granular not that much…
it’s simply too close to home already with the overall ot concept…
and would be the perfect add on function, that “little” fancy plus feature and marketing argument to a new ot that just will not cover all features in the same way as the original design already had done for more than a decade…

i’m pretty sure, the overall digi format and footprint design will be continued…
dtakt is finally grown out of further more options…
but stereo sampling and stem streaming meets all sorts of slicing/flexing all the way to grain treatment options would be a truu must have and next level device that deserves to carry on the octatrack name/legacy…

3 Likes

elektron itself is in a niche market my friend. Otherwise there would already be, an OT3.

let’s not kid ourselves.

they need a fourth sampler? in addition to rytm which is also sampling capable?

edit- sorry, model samples is a sample player. I don’t want to make model samples owners upset by saying this, but model samples is not a sampler. it’s a sample playback device.

2 Likes

No-one makes hardware granular synths because granular synthesis is shit.

14 Likes

I disagree. Please give us a few granular machines for the Digitakt! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

this is the way.

4 Likes

One of the top wishes for Elektrons, yes. But very difficult to predict if it ever happens.
And if yes - why not including wavetable engine as well? Only granular engline would be limited.
Probably can happen on Digitakt, it’s already has close capabilities… the only realistic scenario

Currently there are plenty of devices with such capabilities, but each is limited in it’s own way (1 grain algo, sample limits, not much of modulation) or is too specific with the approach (Gotharman’s granulators) or just too expensive or unobtainable (ER-301).

2 Likes

…and let’s be clear about this…rytm, a4 and ot will see their day to get discontinued sooner than later…they have to slimline their product catalog to stay healthy but never the less boutique while still stay successful…
and u can’t do this these days if u assemble in first world countries…and there’s simply no boutique feel or such as benefit left if they start outsourcing to asia…
so, sticking to a narrow productline with same overall formfactor is just the way to go to not get lost in overstretch and remain relevant to/in a market that peaked already…
they got their niche safe with what they do and are clever enough to stay right where they are…

2 Likes

n.

2 Likes

if only stereo on dt were possible it would be the cheese AND the crackers.

let’s ask the elektron devs, they just introduced machines. how bout we give them a chance. they like new money too, just like every other company out there to make money.

Not yet. :grin:

:man_shrugging:

̶"S̶y̶n̶t̶a̶k̶t̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶s̶ ̶s̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶.̶ ̶I̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶a̶d̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶s̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶h̶o̶t̶c̶a̶k̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶u̶n̶d̶e̶r̶s̶t̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶h̶y̶ ̶E̶l̶e̶k̶t̶r̶o̶n̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶i̶m̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶I̶t̶’̶s̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶h̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶e̶y̶.̶ ̶̶̶"

[you are here]

“Syntakt needs sampling. If they added this it would sell like hotcakes, I don’t understand why Elektron doesn’t do such a simple thing. It’s like they hate money.”

“Syntakt needs the Digitakt machines. If they added this it would sell like hotcakes, I don’t understand why Elektron doesn’t do such a simple thing. It’s like they hate money.”

3 Likes

no stereo.