Deckard’s Dream MK2

A desktop version!

9 Likes

Jesus Christ that is a beautiful synth.

But that pricetag is just… well… no fun.

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s not cheap.

1 Like

Geez Louise! That’s 5500 CAD w/ taxes! Not that something that expensive would ever be on my radar but dayum, that’s going to crush a few bank accounts.

1 Like

price is around 75% of my imaginary filled 7U case :joy:

4 Likes

I hate how expensive this synth is lol. Man, would I be pissed/annoyed if I were an owner of the MKI version.

4 Likes

Look great, but man, it is spendy.

1 Like

I own a mk1… rev2… as far as I can tell, it’s just a smaller box. I’m totally fine with not having that. I suspect that the additional controls mentioned are actually just parameters already available in menus on the current unit. Sound engine is the same.

TBH, whatever version you have, it really is very special.

7 Likes

I mean… I guess that I kinda understand why it costs what it does. A boutique manufacturer producing a big old synth with a bunch of sliders, and designing the hell out of it. That should cost something. But then MFB (who are neither Korg nor Behringer) have a perfectly capable 1000€ eight voice poly on its way to market. And while that synth does indeed look like somebody had some sort of horribly, barely imaginably accident and/or seizure, I still think the gap is pretty wild.

1 Like

What modulargrid can do to one’s perspective huh?

4 Likes

I will say, I give props the Black Corporation because they offer DIY kits. The original Deckards kit was like $1000. Kind of makes me want to learn soldering and whatnot.

2 Likes

Aren’t those kits without most of the actual components?

1 Like

I am sure what is included. For all I know it just a hand drawn map.

3 Likes

Man… a map with sliders… That would fix maps for me.

3 Likes

yeah, i think they needed another 1.5-2k to complete

I love the form factor, I need to check if the BOM changed. The “kit” from Black Corp consists of only the PCB’s (maybe SMD pre-soldered, not sure). after that, you need a case (~$230) and all the components. SynthCube has a pre-packaged kit for the components, and it’s about $1500. Add to that solder and time, and it’s quite an undertaking. Cost is roughly $2700-2800. I can’t recall if calibration is required post-build, but that may require other equipment (oscilloscope). Cost is still less than the retail price, but it would be a labor of love. I’m intrigued by this new form factor, and it would be a fun project for 2020, since it would likely take me until the end of the year!

1 Like

I am part way through building a deckards dream and I wish I’d just fucking bought one. Jesus Christ this is a lot of work. I could have a Juno and a prophet for the money I spent on this!

18 Likes

These are the kind of project updates that usually make me give up the pipe dream. Good luck, @Malarkyk – may the force be with you.

3 Likes

Your right, only addition is a Sustain control (Long/short)

1 Like

Hmm there seems to be some mix-up … prices are different on their website and they have another desktop unit